I ran across an HVAC site that takes -and answers questions from home owners and after reading some of their questions I can understand why that doesnt take place here.

Example:
    I have my themostat set in the heat position and the furnance is blowing cold air instead of heat. When I put it in the cold position the fan comes on in the auto position but in the heat position it want come on. I have a Rudd central heat and air system.
    or

I believe it's a (HSI) type furnace.
    Once it starts, it takes roughly 40 or 50 seconds for the 'heat stick' to turn orange then another 10 seconds or so for the click and the gas to start blowing. All 3 'flame tubes' run fine for about 7 seconds while the 'heat stick' goes back to its 'safe to touch' setting. At that point, the 'flame tubes' don't stay lit and the furnace appears to restart the process

I can now understand how easy it would be for something to go terribly wrong with the free advice being offered on that site.

the bad thing is all the people that give the advice keep doing it here

Repeatedly, over and over they continue to make us all look like idiots by trying to explain things to DIY'ers.

And it's another reason some HO will balk at a $79 service charge to clean their flame rod plus $65 fo a new HSI because theirs ohms out at 95+. They fail to take int account that we have office people, insurance, overtime, vacation pay, MAYBE a holiday bonus and slow times to try and end the year in the black.

I have quit giving advice to HO's but still post on topics of discussion with other techs. Hopefully others will do the sane but I somehow doubt it will ever stop alltogether.
    R2B4BTU

I know common sense is a thing of the past but if I had to ask these questions .......I would have to think that if I got the wrong info from someone I did not know , I could damage something that will cost more to replace than a service call would have cost to begin with.

heres another one I read......What wire goes where???

think my thermostat may have been damaged i'm going to try my orginial, removing a honeywell T8411R wiring as follows
    G-GREEN L-OPEN
    C-BLUE W2-WHITE W2 & E ARE JUMPERED
    R-RED E-BLACK
    W1-OPEN B-OPEN
    Y-YELLOW 0-ORANGE

Swap with a Trane Weathertron 3AATB01A1
    What wire goes where?
    G
    Y
    X2
    B
    U
    T
    W
    R
    F
    O

Tie em all together.... todays electricity is smart and knows where it should go... doesn't it?

Seriously though, much beyond telling someone to check thier filter or to shut the unit down asap (leaking HX or something), I think the DIY might be a lil out of line for this kind of work.

I feel the same about giving homeowners advice more then checking the fuse or making sure blower door is on so the safety switch is pushed in. But once the flood gates of H.O. has been opened and the cat is out of the bag, how do you go back? Im all for it , this just seems to help trash the market worse . I know the h.o. coming in here dont like the thought of that but its our bread and butter. We are the only ones who can make things right so Im not answering those type of questions.......Im leaving it to the ones who know no better lol.