Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Carrier 19XL Chiller Barrel Cleaning Techniques

Hello, can someone please tell me the necessary steps to cleaning a chiller barrel? Please assume that the chiller does not have any leaks and that the chiller has been brought offline for service. Thank you.

Move to chiller forum.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Hello, can someone please tell me the necessary steps to cleaning a chiller barrel? Please assume that the chiller does not have any leaks and that the chiller has been brought offline for service. Thank you.
    I’m confused by “Necessary Steps”.

Are you asking about punching tubes?

If this is a flooded chiller (water in the tubes), and assuming that the tubes aren't fouled with any hard deposits, brushing the tubes with a rotating nylon bristle brush (wet) is the industry accepted standard. Goodway, Elliott, and Thomas C. Wilson are a few of the companies that offer tube brushing equipment.

If you have tube fouling that requires chemical cleaning, now it's time to call someone proficient in that type work.

If you have a DX chiller (water on the outside of the tubes), it's also time to call someone that is proficient in that type work.

i like to get a box of rags and a mild detergent and just give it a good wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by DITAW View Post
    i like to get a box of rags and a mild detergent and just give it a good wipe.
    Nothing like a good Wipe!

Marcie

You’ve asked vague questions and received vague answers. Read the attached manual and get back to us.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A tube brushing machine and a lot of brushes. If scaled after first brushing your going to need scale dissolver. Run this through the machine and keep it a bright yellow color for three or four days, then rent you a tube extractor, a tube expander and buy a bunch of tubes and replace them all because you have burnt holes in all of them with the acid. (DONT DO THIS) I don't think this can be taught on the web. You need to get someone who knows what they are doing, to show you, (probably more than once) how to do it properly.

Talking

Ever read the MSDS on hydrochloric acid! You will think twice about messing with acidizing. I mean hydro what I have never heard of it! I highly recommend using spin grit brushes. They can get through some pretty tough stuff where the blue brushed cant budge.

The fella's on here have gave you some idea's, we're not trying to be hard asses but we make our living doing this stuff!! If your an operator trying to get an understanding of things, thats cool. If your fishing for labor cost with how we feed our familys thats not cool. Tell us more about yourself and we'll try to help you out.

Been a fan of the spin-grit brushes since they came out.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerguy81 View Post
    The fella's on here have gave you some idea's, we're not trying to be hard asses but we make our living doing this stuff!! If your an operator trying to get an understanding of things, thats cool. If your fishing for labor cost with how we feed our familys thats not cool. Tell us more about yourself and we'll try to help you out.
    Hello, Thank you for asking who I am and inquiring my motive for being on this forum. I am a Project Engineer and manage design and construction projects for a Government Agency. I have over 10 years of experience providing engineering and management related services to private and Government agencies in the United States. I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and would like to bridge the gap between classroom study and real world practices. Prior to joining my current organization, I served 7 years in the U.S. Army where I had to opportunity to provide humanitarian services in Central America, conduct law enforcement in Japan, and serve in the Southwest Asia during three campaigns of the Gulf War. In closing, I will probably ask questions that seem vague; however, I hope to become more astute in my understanding of HVAC principles, etc. My purpose for joining this forum is to learn and I humbly ask questions from an operations standpoint as I am not qualified to personally do any of the technical work/tasks that I inquire about because I do not have the necessary training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast