Noone in my area will even look at my system, or even call me back after they find out my home is under a buyer protection plan with AON. What good is a home warranty if noone will work on a unit they cover? I got a claim put in a week before the warranty expired (day before thanksgiving), it got cold then, and I still have not been able to get anyone to look at it.

Last year right after moving in during Thanksgiving weekend I had no heat until Late Jan-Feb, the vent motor died.

Call AON
    Make them find a tech

Only Tech they list in my area is Sears. Sears already said the only thing that can do for the old unit I have is replace it because they can't get the parts. But they still consider it repairable (just not by them) so AON will not replace it.

Looks like you have an answer already. If they say it is repairable ask them what needs to be done to fix it and have it repaired and send the invoice to AON. Companies don't like doing HW work because it is hard to get paid by them and in addition to that it is hard to get a fair wage from them. They force companies to do the calls at an absolute minimum cost to the company no matter what the size. I would call AON and let them know your intentions but honestly if you have a system that is that old, and inefficient, would you not consider replacing that dinosaur?

I have done work for HW companies off and on and do not like them. From a contractors POV it can be a very difficult process of getting paid to run calls and then if you cover something that is supposed to be the customers cost then you have an even bigger problem to deal with.

GL

Screech: if you are a tech why would you need someone else to come out and fix your unit?

You should call AON and get a little stern with them. They're contractually obligated to repair or replace the system under the terms of the contract. Give AON the model & serial no. and tell them to locate the part and someone to install it pronto or you'll be forced to take legal action.

You won't find many HW company supporters here. I was a HW contractor for 13 years and have nothing good to say about them.

ct2, I never said I am a tech. My skills are computers (programming, building, repairing), auto mechanics and electronics. I'm just an upset cold home owner. I don't ask for DIY info, I just like enough info that I understand what a tech wants to do (or not do as is my case) and why. I decided to vent a little HW frustration.

midhvac, I did call AON again yesterday and they said they would locate a contractor. Last night though I got a callback, I was really surprised!! Getting the unit looked at today. The sooner it is fixed/replaced the better, I'm tired of sleeping in the computer room, it stays 75-80 in there while rest of the house is 55-60. I've not heard any good about the HW company around here either, only one company even called me back.

AON / ERA / ColdWell Banker protection plans suck.
    They screw the customer any way they can to get out of a claim..They screw their service providers as well...

By the way... the only reason Sears does work for AON is to generate leads to push new equipment. They won't install AON'S equipment because AON doesn't pay them enough...

Goto AHS.... much better co. to deal with...

[Edited by qssfl on 12-27-2004 at 04:49 PM]

Just received a check from them for a repair 2 weeks ago. Wish everyone paid on time as quickly as they did. No problem with them so far.

the only way we do hw work is to get paid by the ho, and let them duke it out with the hw company.