Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Oil

Motor Oil

I was just wondering what you guys do with your old motor oil for disposal.

I take mine to my vehicle repair man, He burns it in the furnace I sold him!!

Here in Manitoba, the provincial government pays the repair shops to take it at no charge and they send it out for recycling (filters too).

There is a flat environmental tax on new oil and filters at the parts places that pays for this.

Autozone takes it.

I dump it right in the 275 gallon tank with the #2 fuel oil for my oil fired boiler, it mixes well and burns well, been doing it for over 20 years, it has never caused me a problem.

Mix it with sand and send it back to Alberta.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Mix it with sand and send it back to Alberta.
    hahahahhah
    Save me Jebus

I think anymore it's the law that a store that sells motor oil has to take used oil at no charge.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I know every auto parts store here takes used oil. I pour all mine into empty metal 5 gallon xylene cans from our paint shop and just tip it upside down on the top of the waste oil tank at the parts store.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Check out www.earth911.org. You can enter your zip and it will give you locations close by for just about anything that can be recycled.

Around here like its been said before the local parts places takes it. We can also take it to the local dump where they have recycling tanks for various oils and if Im not mistaken for used antifreeze.

I give some to my father in law, who heats his auto salvage garage with it. Some gets used to start fires. (Junk, not arson.)
    Jason

Auto parts store takes it.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

A few of the auto parts stores around here take it, but I think they only allow 1 gallon per visit. There's a few other places that burn it around here, but generally their tanks are at capacity (I think they need to burn more lol).

It's a bit frustrating since I usually have 4.5 gallons or so from my truck, and the race car uses 3-4 gallons too, that makes for a lot of trips when you need to get rid of it.

When I get around to building my own shop I'm hoping to put a waste oil burner in there. Between the oil from the truck, race car and all the air compressors I change oil on, I'd have free heat most of the winter.

Now getting rid of used refrigerant oil is a whole other ball game. Man I hate getting rid of that stuff around here. Company policy says we can't have more than 5 gallons in the shop at any one time. Change oil on a big ice arena rack and you'll end up with 30 pretty easy. Stupid policies.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast