What was the LONGEST drive for a service call you ever took??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    N. Florida to Miami 6 hours 1 way. Job took 12 hours. drove back. Thank God I dont service dry cleaners anymore

i saw astronauts on the news fixing the refrigeration system for the space shuttle while it was in orbit. i think thats the longest recorded service call in history but what im trying to figure out is y would you need refrigeration in outerspace

press1 is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Man, didn't you watch Armagedon? It's over 200deg when the sun is out (in space).

lol

My best drive was from Sacramento CA to LA, I went to help the So Cal Branch.

When I got there, there were 68 calls holding. After working 16 hours the first day, I called to check on the progress...they said that we were down to 72 holding.

Those were some great paychecks.

I' went to edison nj from rochester ny to install 16 RTU,We stayed in a crack whore motel locate at RT-1,We worked from 7am to 1:30am ,God only knows how much I' hate nj!

I have made so many service calls by plane it is scary to even remember. Course it’s a way of life here in Alaska. Every time I think about getting back on the road I look at the travel log for the last year I was on the road. I was fixing generators and refers in Alaska. The way it works is you fly as far as you can on a jet - then you rent a small plane or get on one of the local carriers. Usually something like a Cessna 206 and then sometimes even that can’t get you there - you have to get on a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile or a dog sled - or a dog sled pulled by a snow machine. My longest service call in one state is 850 air miles one way from Anchorage Alaska to Dutch Harbor out on the Aleutian Chain.
    One the scariest was a service call to a fish processing ship out in the Bearing Sea at night. They woke me up in the middle of the night and put me on a sea plane and we made a night landing on the ocean. I’m a pilot so I made if VERY clear that I could call the go - no go landing when we got to the ship. It took me 20 minutes to find the problem and get it solved to a point that I was out of there. I had left very explicit instructions to the pilot NOT to leave without talking to me so he just floated in the ocean till I got back. I was back into bed before the rest of the shop even knew I was gone. 200 miles each way.
    The coldest service call -56 degrees with a 40+ wind - I have know idea what the wind chill was but I am sure it was colder than -100 degrees - the moron pilot killed one of the engines to load the plane - I told him he had about 3 min to restart the engine or he wouldn’t be able to get it going. He was a Texan and you couldn’t tell him anything. Most Texans don’t know that gasoline won’t vaporize below -35 and you have to leave gasoline fueled engines running at those temps. From Anchorage to Kaktovik [Barter Island Air Force Instillation] - a long ways, probably about 800 miles one way.
    Longest time away from home - I lived just out of Dallas Texas and was in Dutch Harbor Alaska for a little over 3 months. I was about 5000 miles from home. Worked 16 to 18 hours every day. I slept for about 5 days when I got home before I could even talk straight. Now that was a pay check.
    My job now - 650 miles by 737 one way - land in the Artic and work two weeks on duty 12 hours a day 7 days a week - then 2 weeks off. 12 two week vacations per year.
    Now you see why I am looking forward to a nice quite business in HVAC/R
    John

Genman,
    I think that tops all of us. I did spend 6 months out of 1 year working out of the country. St. Croix after hurricane Hugo went through there back in 1989 (I think). Would work a month, come home for a weekend and go back for another month.
    On arrival we stayed in what was left of a hotel. My room didn't have any windows left in it. Had no power or water. Owner would fire up a gas powered generator for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening so the water pump would run and we could get showers, lights would work at that time also.
    Could relate many stories regarding that trip but will allow someone else to have the floor!
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

Charleston, S.C. to Virginia Beach...5 nights and 4 days...be it ever so humble......

Anchorage to Shemya Island 1500 miles. The trip begins on a C-130, then packed inside with 14-50 other people, and cargo. You find a seat on the nylon jump seats and strap in for a long flight. This flight could be from 6hrs. or 12 hrs. depending if the pilot can land when they get to the Island. The best part, food is all free and you get fed 3 times a day.

NJ, to Dieago Garcia
    It is in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

[Edited by hvacbear on 12-19-2004 at 05:50 PM]
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by oly
    Anchorage to Shemya Island 1500 miles. The trip begins on a C-130, then packed inside with 14-50 other people, and cargo. You find a seat on the nylon jump seats and strap in for a long flight. This flight could be from 6hrs. or 12 hrs. depending if the pilot can land when they get to the Island. The best part, food is all free and you get fed 3 times a day.
    I have dodged Shemya Island completely - When god gives Earth an enema he sticks it in at Shemya!!!!!
    John

That is the truth!! Got lucky, in and out in 3days..

Sorry to change the subject, BUT how in the H*LL do you guys land this gigs???

Just be in the wrong place at the wrong time and open your mouth. I have learned that here in Alaska you better not say you can fix it unless your ready to go and fix it. And "go" in this state has a BIG meaning....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast