Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: harvest problem

Chk for tube separation on back side of plate. Thicken up the slab. Replace machine.

Wink

clean the machine and it will be ok. it may sound simple but dont over think your problem.the rest of the suggestions are great, but realy too much for this problem.

Sometimes the horizontal grids break loose on the evaporator plate. This causes the ice slab to hang on. There is no repair, however you can use a pair of pliers to pull the loose grid completely off. The machine will still make ice, just with a few extra large cubes. B model...at least ten years old...time for a new one.

Originally posted by shaka
    If you dont reach 160 then you might have problem with superheat.(txv bulb loose or not insulated)

Dont install your long hvac gauges. Dont install any unless you know for sure its a refrigeration problem. If you already have then now you are low on freon.
    I agree yo need the head pressure during harvest. But what is this about NOT installing your gages until you are sure it is a sealed system issue?

Why would simply installing the gages make such a profound difference in system charge?

And what is the diference between using his long hoses and using a pair of short hoses? How would this affect his readings?

I'd tend to agree about not hooking up the gauges until later. I went to a Manitwoc school and the rep insisted the first thing to do is whip out the book, that was a few years back, and as it turns out he is right.
    Self contained (no remote condenser) systems are critical charge. If system is acessed on every service the unit will indeed someday be low on charge. If you're the last dude in line and find it low now we are looking for a non-existing leak.

Oh Brave one, I agree you should bring out the book before you do anything else.
    I agree you should not put on the gages unless you believe there to be a sealed system problem.

But the point I am after is the thing about your hoses.

Is anyone saying that just because you attach your gage manifold set ... you are disrupting the charge?

And if so, how much are you upsetting the charge?

I know the reason behind this proceedure. But not everyone does. And it is for their benefit we can shed some light onthe topic.
    Besides, Dave's bored and wants stuff to talk about.

Not that he would "lower" his-self to discussing such puny systems as self contained ice makers ....(snicker, snicker)

Well let's see, um, long hoses. Pressure drop, disturbing system equalibrium, flashing refrigerant, time required for system to normalize.

Don't make me go out to the service van to get the book please. The van is a mess and I will fell compelled to take care of some much needed house keeping.

R12rules: tell me, am I near being right on this? I thirst for knowledge!

I like the books they are great! The Manitowoc classes are informative too.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Better yet, buy a low and a high gauge get a couple of fittings , 1/8" female pipe to 1/4" sae female. Make a set of handy dandy gauges. One for each shirt pocket. No hose...miniscule refrigerant loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12