lost my job two months ago. i worked for a very good union shop .they put me to schcool, and good benifits .but they can't find me a job . i tried every union shop myself and they told me there not hiring because it's slow or they need a senior tech. BUT NON UNION ARE HIRING WHAT TO DO . I HAVE AFAMILY TO FEED. Please what would you do . p.s the longer i stay out the more rusty i get. need to keep my skills tune up and learn more .

12-14-2004 09:09 PM

If you love your family, then family comes first. Do whatever you have to do. But do it wisely

the same as the rest of the union guy's do when it's slow work for a non union shop under the table.

no offense guy's just what we normally see

Go non union!

Your first responsibility is to your family. Take care of them, if that means non-union shop so be it- if they will hire you. Many open shops are cautious of union techs and their attempts to organize. I know unions will say if the workers are happy they won't allow it but it doesn't prevent organizers from coming in promising things and ignoring the fact they can't keep their existing people working

Let's see now;

Merit shop....union
    Open shop.....closed shop
    Right to work.....right to strike
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

i am union, union policy states we can work non union if no union jobs avail UA787

If your used to a union shop, your not going to like a non union shop.

Training especially. Most non union shops it simply does not exist. And they have no clue what the word; "Mentor" means.

And you have the same level of politics in a non union shop as what you have in the union shops.

I was union a long time ago as a welder.

Natbe your union needs to try a lot harder in order to locate work for you to feed your family with.

Afterall ... thats the only main point the union is for ... isnt it?