Just wanted to share my experience with sponsoring a child with Christian Children's Fund. Four years ago, my wife and I decided to sponsor a child in her native Philippines, on the island of Cebu. Christine was 7 when we started, and she's 11 now. She's been sending us pictures and letters for 4 years, and we've seen her grow into a beautiful girl. Her family is dirt poor & literally has nothing. There's no welfare over there, and it's a fight for survival.

A few weeks ago, my wife lost her father, so we packed up our 2 kids (5 & 8) and headed to the Philippines for the funeral. After business was taken care of, my dream was to meet Christine. To make a long story short, we met her and her parents on the day before we left, along with the regional director of CCF. We took Christine clothes shopping and out to lunch, It was absolutely one of the most amazing and surreal experiences of my life. We were able to see that our small contribution does help feed, clothe and educate this girl, and I'll tell you, it's a great feeling.

After seeing homeless families living on the sidewalk outside of McDonalds, infants and small children sleeping on the street, and children begging for food, it's tough to get into the Christmas spirit, when our kids are so spoiled already. We had brought some toys for the neighborhood kids, filled up a large backpack with them, and played Santa, letting my kids pass them out to the poor kids. Hopefully my children carried something home with them from that.

I'm not trying to paint myself as a saint. And I'm not a Bible thumper. I just feel like with everything we have as Americans, that we can do more to help those in need. And we in HVAC make a pretty decent living. With all the toys we have, and expensive hobbies, maybe we can sacrifice a bit & do something special at Christmas this year for someone in need.

[Edited by hvacmd2002 on 12-14-2004 at 08:12 PM]

Originally posted by hvacmd2002

With all the toys we have, and expensive hobbies, maybe we can sacrifice a bit & do something special at Christmas this year for someone in need.

So are you talking about us collectively as a group?

Originally posted by bigbadbob
    Originally posted by hvacmd2002

With all the toys we have, and expensive hobbies, maybe we can sacrifice a bit & do something special at Christmas this year for someone in need.

So are you talking about us collectively as a group?
    Nope, not really. (but I'm open to ideas of course) Just thinking that if most of you are like me, you have hobbies and interests that cost lots of money. For example my wife drives a nice Expedition. I have $15k in arcade machines. I have a $10000.00 1953 Seeburg jukebox. A new motorcycle. New garage. Kids have all the Playstation games, play soccer, swim lessons, etc. I think I can spare a little to help someone in need. Something clicked inside me on my last trip to the Philippines is all I can say.

When I pass on, nobody is going to care about the car I drove or the nice house I lived in. But I guarantee you, my sponsored child will remember that I cared. And she'll tell her kids about the day we took her shopping. Heck, she carries a picture of my family in her wallet. We sent her the pic 4 years ago. It's been a joy to watch her grow up through her letters and pictures. I'm actually thinking about sponsoring another.

Yuo ever read the obituaries? I do. And I think "what have I ever done for anybody?" I'm gonna change that in the next 1/2 of my life. Our next mission is Christmas 2005 (I hope) to the Philippines. I hope to collect enough clothes, food and toys to bring joy to some poor families there. We'll see how it goes. Trying to find a cheap way to ship the stuff.

I think that is great, I'm very happy for you.I've helped out at the Salvation Army tree the last couple years, and that makes me feel good also. Keep up the good work, even if nobody notices.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

I hope to post some pics this weekend of us playing Santa in Cebu City, Philippines a few weeks ago. Some of you might find it interesting.