Thread: Are they hacks?

Had my first day on the job today and was excited about being shown all the new procedures and technologies to come along in my 14 years absence from the field. I ended the day a bit disappointed after helping to set 2 brand new units on 2 brand new houses under construction and the installs were finished without ever seeing nitrogen, a vacuum pump, guages, nothing. Weld on the lines, stick the thermostat wires in, run a freon purge using the factory charge and load all the tools up. No wonder everyone else is having such a hard time paying the bills. You guys buy all that unneeded equipment like recovery machines and vacuum pumps. Damn, I went to work for the hacks. I'll have to change that soon as I can.

That's terrible. Definitely hacks. I can't beleive that was done on new construction.
    Get back to work.

the sad part is you are right we aren't making any money because we take oyr time and do it right. Plus we own all those unneeded tools.

sadly this is very common in new construction some contractors fill that this is the only they will make any thing is by doing this crap than saling a maintenance contract to cover their rear

beware hacks are everywhere

We rarely do new construction, but someone I know asked me to bid on his new house, I gave him what I thought to be a fair price to do a quality job, he called and said we were beat by over 25% by another company, I told him good luck and dont call me when it doesnt work right....it will be too late by then, thats just how the new construction market is, here at least anyway.....hacks tripping over each other to work for pennies.

My company does not do alot of new construction, but I to am amazed at how short sited these builders are. I went to a spec home today, over 3200 SF told hime to do this correctly will need 2 units. 450,000 home builders wants the cheepest equipment and install period. wants to stick to one 5 ton in the desert. I will bid on it but it will have 2 units and I will make sure I make a buck.

There is nothing new about that. Many years ago I seen new condo/houses without any returns in em.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I asked my instructor about installing a split system at a neighbors house . The run to the furnace would be 30 ft. He said that the factory compensates for 50 ft lines and he told me the same thing as you described , weld em shut and open up the valves

Originally posted by ct2
    I asked my instructor about installing a split system at a neighbors house . The run to the furnace would be 30 ft. He said that the factory compensates for 50 ft lines and he told me the same thing as you described , weld em shut and open up the valves
    Leave that school. Now.

Thats how new construction is done here. Many of the contractors stopped using goodman thinking the eq is no good. I wonder what they will want when all those Heil/Comfortmakers start to fail.
    HVAC Contractor, Tyler Texas.

Thumbs up

Dorrman: I just regestered in another program today

Originally posted by ct2
    Dorrman: I just regestered in another program today
    Smart man.