Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ceiling savers
    and I don't remeber what they are called but those strips that go in the coil to keep the left over moisture in there from getting to gunked up.
    Sealing up cavities or large infiltrations
    Static pressure test and duct mods based on your findings

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Tread lightly. One could question whether or not you are questioning a respected professional's integrity.

You need to learn more about retail business before your ready to call someone out.

Upsell and profit are not dirty words.

Case in point, have you ever been asked "Would you like fries with that".
    I'll tread however I want. Call it what you want to. Just tell them their heat exchanger is cracked to get an install, thats what works around here.

Quote Originally Posted by loserbob View Post
    I'll tread however I want. Call it what you want to. Just tell them their heat exchanger is cracked to get an install, thats what works around here.
    Wow.......
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by loserbob View Post
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by AP KING View Post
    I know you are talking about things to stock on the truck that you can use to replace degrading parts, but one thing you could recommend and try to mention (in the right situations) are humidifiers. Houses can become dry in the winter to the point of causing nose bleeds, respiratory infections, and other health issues. it's not uncommon for a doctor to prescribe the use of a humidifier for people with asthma and allergies. A humidifier is also said to help control the occurance of airborn infection and can also make it feel a bit more comfortable in the home at a lower temp than if the air were dry.

Ofc, checking blower wheels to make sure they're not excessively dirty, taking a peek at coils (if they're not a pain to access), and being mindful of other maintenance type issues will help. Like the others have said, stocking carbon monoxide detectors is definately a good thing to have on the van.
    yes...and not only that...i really don't think im doing my job completely if i don't check blowers ,coils ,etc. ..around here there are a lot of heaters not piped in the furnace with black pipe and a drip leg...and every now and then one piped in with copper gas line..the copper has to go..also what condition is the flue in the attic and the flashing and cap in...don't just cycle the system and call everything good... just sayin people

Funny how a simple question about honest upsells led to a ban. One of the products we sell a fair amount of in the winter is attic tents. Easy to install and customer sees a real benefit from them. No more cold attic air coming through the pull down stairs.

Up sales are often initiated by the customer. if a tech listens to what the customer says.

When a customer says about dust, or dry scratchy throats. Thats a chance for the tech to make recommendations.

Or when a customer says they just don't feel warm even with the thermostat set to 74.

Its a part of service. Kind of fits in with the term "Service tech".
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Or do others prefer the term "Repair tech".
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
    Funny how a simple question about honest upsells led to a ban. One of the products we sell a fair amount of in the winter is attic tents. Easy to install and customer sees a real benefit from them. No more cold attic air coming through the pull down stairs.
    I saw these in this months The News and was gonna suggest using em as an add on for my. Company glad to hear they are effective and easy for customers to see value in

Cool lots to sell

The Attic Tent has a flame spread of 30, which meets the code requirement for less than 50 for IRC applications but not commerical. It carries an R-value of 3.2, which is a far cry from the required insulation even in Florida though. Overall, I think its a pretty good choice based upon current options but they can do a lot better and it certainly won't meet the IECC.

Upselling should not be a seasonal thing. You should be selling as part of inspecting. You are there not only to service the system but inspect it and the home for comfort and, to a degree, safety. Don't overlook the HVAC system before you look to the rest of the house. It amazes me how many companies I come behind that leave unsealed ducts, scary condensate systems, no humidification, 1" Clog 'Em Tight filters, no safeties on the condesate system, etc. Do you look at the rating plates to confirm the breakers and fuses are properly sized? Is the outdoor whipe protected by a liquid tight conduit? Does the Armaflex need to be replaced or patched? Do you pull the venting on CAT I and tug on CAT IV venting to see if the pipes separate? Do you use chemical smoke at the joints along with a combustion analyzer? Do you inspect the vent terminations to ensure they are properly oriented with clearances not only to building penetrations but the snow loads and have stainless steel screens? Where is the stat, is it a setback model and not located over a return bay and in a decent location? Do you inspect the house on first time customers to map out the supplies and returns then make recommendations for adding returns, repairing those loose slinkies in the attic along with general duct sealing? Do you actually measure the gas pressures per the mfr. and set to spec? If you have a CAT I furnace common vented with a WH, do you sell spill switches and a post purge?

If you do a thorough initial inspection and DOCUMENT what they have, you can always work on them about upgrades over time. The more times to mention certain key improvements, the more lifely they are to do them but more importantly, they'll end up with a better system and you get to make a buck off it. As long as you aren't ripping them off on BS they don't need, then I think not advising them about improvements is not having their best interest at heart.

As for the safety alarms, you can offer to upgrade them to the current codes, which require hard wired alarms then back them up with a better low level CO monitor. This protects them while increasing the value of the home.

If you are into plumbing related issues, why not do a flood survey? Inspect their hoses on the washer, dishwasher and humififier then sell the flood-check type stainless hoses. While you're at it, you can incorporate water hammer arrestors. Test the static water pressure. If greater than 85psi advise them to install a pressure reducer with backflow preventer and expansion tank. While you're at it, you should be inspecting for backflow prevention at all sources of cross-contamination including boilers, washing machines, and humidifiers.

Water heaters can often take an overflow pan properly drained, the TPR drain to within 6" of floor but separate drainage (not into pan), a flood alarm or wet switch, vent spill switch, expansion tank, seismic straps, correct gas piping, bond across hot to cold piping, etc.

Boilers should have a LWCO and backflow preventer along with a modern air removal device (e.g. Spirovent).

Oil burners should have a Firomatic valve and possibly a Tigerloop added. Often the oil lines should be replaced with the new plastic coated copper tubing made for oil with ball valve shutoffs.

All mechanical rooms require minimum access, switched lighting and a 120vac service outlet within 25ft. You can sell catwalks in attics with high R-insulation below, safety rails for techs, lights and outlets, secondary pans and switches, etc.

You are allowed to make a profit off improving people's homes and lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Tech View Post
    Tread lightly. One could question whether or not you are questioning a respected professional's integrity.

You need to learn more about retail business before your ready to call someone out.

Upsell and profit are not dirty words.

Case in point, have you ever been asked "Would you like fries with that".
    "You'll need a set of these wires to go with that flatscreen."

That's a list that can go on and on and on...
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

I like the idea of selling "Re-build kits" for gas-packs, and furnaces. It can come with a year guarantee to not break down or "its on us". Just because a system is functioning does not mean it is up to par. At the end of the day, this is a business. Its not about screwing a homeowner, its about offering a complete repair. Would you just change your oil without a filter? Would you just get one side of your brake pads replaced because its the only side squeaking? You get the point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12