Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heating Season Add-ons

looking for some new ideas on ways to bring in extra money for the boss man, do u guys companys stock anything on the truck to bring in more money during cleanings or service calls? the only thing (outside of ignitors, water pads, filter, capacitors) that i have been able to think of are the inducer motor capacitors (3mfd, 250v) any ideas would be appreciated....and passed on to my boss as my own

here's one that.......

Quote Originally Posted by alphaice5 View Post
    looking for some new ideas on ways to bring in extra money for the boss man, do u guys companys stock anything on the truck to bring in more money during cleanings or service calls? the only thing (outside of ignitors, water pads, filter, capacitors) that i have been able to think of are the inducer motor capacitors (3mfd, 250v) any ideas would be appreciated....and passed on to my boss as my own
    .......usually works for me.....most all the r a / filter connections to furnaces are not sealed to prevent air bypass . usually you can show the h o the dirt around the openings and get an extra to seal them up and add a small piece of sm to seal up the filter slot . Works for me almost every time....if it's been leaking a long time you also can clean up the blower compartment , blower & motor & possibly the coil if you don't already do that for your clean & checks........Jack

Clean their fart fan.

Thats a thin line for me as I don't agree with creating little salesmen out of service techs but I know guys like to push surge protectors, earthquake valves, and carbon monoxide detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by loserbob View Post
    Thats a thin line for me as I don't agree with creating little salesmen out of service techs but I know guys like to push surge protectors, earthquake valves, and carbon monoxide detectors.

Now I understand you name............................... Bob.

HVAC IS a retail sales business, and if you cant understand that, well, I'm jus
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Anyone on the retail side of the business is a salesman.

Anything that a technician can do to increase revenue is fair game as long as it's done with integrity and honesty.

Push, no. Reccommend, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaice5 View Post
    There is many things you can do.
    Ever thought about bundling?
    Ignitor, flame rod and blower capacitor as an example sold as a "Reconditioning Package" at a slightly discounted rate.

Pleated filters rather than 5%.

Seasonal battery replacement on smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, etc...

The list go's on.

We are currently working on a "home safety kit" that we plan to offer....

Kitchen fire extinguisher, sump pump alarm and/or battery back-up, smoke detector and/or battery changes, carbon monoxide alarms, and other things.

As mentioned before, we are going to package them, from a basic to
    a premium....

There is no way anyone will ever buy anything, unless it's offered....
    I need a new signature.....

I know you are talking about things to stock on the truck that you can use to replace degrading parts, but one thing you could recommend and try to mention (in the right situations) are humidifiers. Houses can become dry in the winter to the point of causing nose bleeds, respiratory infections, and other health issues. it's not uncommon for a doctor to prescribe the use of a humidifier for people with asthma and allergies. A humidifier is also said to help control the occurance of airborn infection and can also make it feel a bit more comfortable in the home at a lower temp than if the air were dry.

Ofc, checking blower wheels to make sure they're not excessively dirty, taking a peek at coils (if they're not a pain to access), and being mindful of other maintenance type issues will help. Like the others have said, stocking carbon monoxide detectors is definately a good thing to have on the van.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Now I understand you name............................... Bob.

HVAC IS a retail sales business, and if you cant understand that, well, I'm jus
    You dont need freaking furnace surge protectors, its a way using a customers limited knowledge of hvac to juice them. I'll recommend stuff they actually could benefit from, you play your game i'll play mine. I'll be happy knowing I'm honest. If you have to ask about up-sell items on a forum then the odds are the customer never needed the crap to begin with.

Beyond what everyone else has mentioned:
    1. A/C covers.
    2. HEPA, UV and/or photocatalytic air purifiers if there are health issues.
    3. HRVs if the humidity is too high.
    4. Balancing or zoning if there are issues with distribution.
    5. Gas lines for future gas stoves/ranges, bbqs, pool heaters or driers.
    6. Service the DHW tank if they own it, new T.couple and anode.

Yer gonna need a whole day for every customer you have!

I do commercial/industrial service. There's a million upgrades, and that is how I see it, an honest upgrade, that I can and do recommend to my customers.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

You dont need freaking furnace surge protectors, its a way using a customers limited knowledge of hvac to juice them. I'll recommend stuff they actually could benefit from, you play your game i'll play mine. I'll be happy knowing I'm honest. If you have to ask about up-sell items on a forum then the odds are the customer never needed the crap to begin with.
    In reality. The customer doesn't NEED anything you provide.

Window units can cool their house fine. A central system is only a convenience system. And is NOT needed.

Space heaters can heat their house fine. A central system is only a convenience system. And is NOT needed.

So you service items of convenience, not necessity.

PS: A surge protector for a Furnace or A/C with an ECM VS blower, is not a waste. Nor taking advantage of a customers limited knowledge.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Tread lightly. One could question whether or not you are questioning a respected professional's integrity.

You need to learn more about retail business before your ready to call someone out.

Upsell and profit are not dirty words.

Case in point, have you ever been asked "Would you like fries with that".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast