+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lennox fireplace gas valve repair or replace

Post Likes

Lennox fireplace gas valve repair or replace

Hello all, I'm in need of some help here. Last couple of years my Lennox Ebstnm-2 fireplace insert has been giving me fits with lighting it. My house is plummed for gas but the only thing connected to use gas off a propane tank is the fireplace. Last year I couldn't even light the fireplace, which since I had the tank disconnected over the summer I figured bugs moisture whatever got in the outside line and might of clogged the line. So I thought I'd blow the line out, I disconnected inside and blew from inside to the outside, got some stuff out, well it still wouldn't light very well, so I then screwed up and forgot to disconnect the lp valve at the fireplace and blew air from outside to inside. Well needless to say, I got the fireplace to lighting now but its a flametorch now. I'm trying to get this thing ready for this winter so I thought I'd give it another go. I'm a mechanic so I allready guessed I blew a diaphragm from last years stupidity. So I unscrewed the top cover which houses the inlet and outlet valving. Sure enough the inlet is a springloaded plastic disc with a rubber diaphragm, the diaphragm is ripped.
    Okay then, I have looked all over the internet to replace the inlet valve, and can't find any kind of overhaul kit, probably because the sticker on the top cover says this unit is not field serviceable, yes I can read that, I'm not adjusting pilots or orfices, I just wanted to replace a 1.25 rubber piece.
    I'm coming to the conclusion for liability reasons, I'm gonna be S.O.L. so my next option is to replace the gas valve itself. I am not sure what I'm suppose to replace it with.
    Here is what I know.
    Valve is a SIT-820 NOVA mv
    model # 0820635
    It's labeled For Natural gas only but it has a sticker on top saying it has been converted from NG to LPG using sit converstion kit 0.907.202

I find a lot of NG sit 820's on the internet, but with different model numbers like 0820636, 0820651, etc, etc. If I can't put a new inlet valve/diaphragm in this thing what gas valve am I suppose to replace it with. The conversion kit I looked up online looks like just a new regulator and gasket, should I just swap that over to a new NG sit 820 valve, do I have to buy a new conversion kit?
    Any and all help would be great before it starts getting cold, thanks much. I appreciate it.

Post Likes
    i dont think u are supposed to take those apart...

improperly re assembled things go BOOM. that is why there is not kit..and why its not field serviceable. Its toast

To big of a liability by the manufacture, thats is why there was those goofy headed bolts holding it together.

Call a fireplace tech or the manufacture directly.

Post Likes
    TOAST! Or ticking time bomb if you put it back together. The seal is only good during the manufacturing process. Once it has been used and compressed it will nolonger reseal if taken apart.

Post Likes

Thumbs down

Wow! Well, you need a new one now.

Post Likes

Exclamation use OEM only

The combination valve is listed as assembled. Only the flame height pressure regulator can be replaced in the field and only with the mfrs. kit. This valve is dumpster bait. You must buy a whole new valve. Contact Lennox with the fireplace model and serial # then ask for an LP valve replacement. SIT makes many different NOVA 820 valves that all look alike on the outside but can be quite different in operation, especially regarding the pilot dropout rate so use only an OEM valve. Then, if you are not trained and qualified to do this repair, pay someone who is.
    FYI, these valves are rated for 1/2 psi maximum.

Post Likes
    u def need a new one. it's junk now.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    nice pics .. what camera?

Post Likes
    Well thanks guys for all the replies back, I wouldn't figure just replacing a little poppet valve with a rubber cup on the tip would be a major ordeal but I had a feeling that what a number of you guys said would be exactly the case, really it comes down to a liability issue, no one wants their name behind a diy project that is so intricate as this is.
    No problem at least I did get steered in the right direction which is to get this thing back up and running, safely. I did call Lennox yesterday, and talked to a nice young clueless saleslady, but she gave me what I did need, which is the number to their parts supplier that deals with Lennox oem parts replacements. Speciality supply co.
    Called them up, and the lady asked for the model number of the fireplace and serial number, a little while later she gave me a part number and price, I had to confirm with her, that it was converted or if they had a conversion kit from natural gas to lp or propane, she did some clicking and clacking and got me the replacement for the propane Nova 820 SIT valve, and 151 bucks shipped to the door. Thought it was gonna be a little worse than that.

As to the camera, it's a 6 year old fuji e550 digital camera, I think it takes a pretty good pic too, thanks.
    I am guessing this ought to come preset, I shouldn't have to make any adjustments with reguards to pilot mixture and such? If not I'll look in the owners manual, or plan B if I can't find the process, call up a fireplace tech.
    Thanks again.

Post Likes
    All I can say is Oh My God!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ohredwood View Post

Called them up, and the lady asked for the model number of the fireplace and serial number, a little while later she gave me a part number and price, I had to confirm with her, that it was converted or if they had a conversion kit from natural gas to lp or propane, she did some clicking and clacking and got me the replacement for the propane Nova 820 SIT valve, and 151 bucks shipped to the door. Thought it was gonna be a little worse than that.
    I know it's $550 installed if you get it from where I work .

As far as pilot adjustment on FP, the only one I'm aware is on how big the flame is. there's no need to adjust how much air mixture (they're usually non adjustable anyway) as long as there's no obstruction on the pilot tube and air opening it's OK. make sure the flame engulf both the thermocouple for pilot valve and power pile for main valve and have enough length to lit the main burner and you should be fine.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    I know it's $550 installed if you get it from where I work .

As far as pilot adjustment on FP, the only one I'm aware is on how big the flame is. there's no need to adjust how much air mixture (they're usually non adjustable anyway) as long as there's no obstruction on the pilot tube and air opening it's OK. make sure the flame engulf both the thermocouple for pilot valve and power pile for main valve and have enough length to lit the main burner and you should be fine.
    Be prepared to replace the thermocouple and thermopile if the pilot is not adjusted properly.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Post Likes
    I have 4 Lp in stock if you want to contact me.

Post Likes

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by natgastech View Post
    I have 4 Lp in stock if you want to contact me.
    how can i contact you if i want it.

Post Likes
    Don't engulf the thermocouple just the tip! Geeeeez!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in