Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R-414B (Hot Shot)

I was talking with Copeland today and they said that they do not recommend Hot Shot for R-12 replacement because of it flammability, they do recommend R-409A, I checked the MSDS of each Refrigerant and the two of them have a rating of 1.
    Does anyone had any problem with Hot Shot in the past?
    I used it several times and never have any problems, but today's conversation with this copeland's technician raised a concern in my mind.

HotShot (R414A) is an HCFC blend which contains 1.5% R600 (Isobutane) to improve oil return...but I don't believe it's flammable in normal use and application.

It's not on Copeland's approved list of refrigerants, so it's difficult to say whether you were getting the company line on this or just personal opinion.

Been using it for years and I have not gone up in flames yet..course there is always tomorrow!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I put it in a lot of systems. I guess maybe I'll start double checking that I don't have any gas trapped any where before I get the torch out.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Thank You guys for the inputs, is good to know that there are not big issues with it, but like DeltaT said there is always tomorrow. Be safe!

it is much simpler to use a refrigerant that is "accepted" by a manufacturer. I don't think any manufacturer has accepted hot shot (many change that "O" to an "i". Rcall the threats HotShot made to us ".. gonna sue"

could be a similar situation as 410a

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=645361

Remember this thread, MSDS said not flammable but appearently under certain circumstances it can be very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by botija_99 View Post
    I was talking with Copeland today and they said that they do not recommend Hot Shot for R-12 replacement because of it flammability, they do recommend R-409A, I checked the MSDS of each Refrigerant and the two of them have a rating of 1.
    Does anyone had any problem with Hot Shot in the past?
    I used it several times and never have any problems, but today's conversation with this copeland's technician raised a concern in my mind.
    I used Hot Shot for years with no problems. I think you'll find out that 409a will cut your capacity noticeably. We used it one time and ended up pulling it back out and installing Hot Shot. Never had a problem with the flammability either. It's hard to find a replacement that will do the same job as the good old R12. Now we are facing the same issue with R22 !!!!! Instead of one refrigerant, we'll now need about 4 different ones!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

off the question a little bit but has anyone ever used Rs-24 refrigerant I have had great success with it .

I've used Rs-24 in school on small systems, was very comparable to 12. Never used it on any big systems though

Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    I used Hot Shot for years with no problems. I think you'll find out that 409a will cut your capacity noticeably. We used it one time and ended up pulling it back out and installing Hot Shot. Never had a problem with the flammability either. It's hard to find a replacement that will do the same job as the good old R12. Now we are facing the same issue with R22 !!!!! Instead of one refrigerant, we'll now need about 4 different ones!!
    Times Two.

With older systems I'm not worried about what the manufacturer says. I want the thing to work and have a satisified customer!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by derek989 View Post
    off the question a little bit but has anyone ever used Rs-24 refrigerant I have had great success with it .
    RS-24 (R426A) is an HFC long term replacement refrigerant for R12, whereas HotShot is an HCFC and is scheduled for phaseout along with R22, R401A, R409A, etc.

http://www.refsols.com/RS-24_p1.html

I haven't even seen any R426A, let alone tried it....but it's very similar to DuPont's Isceon MO49 Plus (R437A) which I have tried and like very much.

http://www2.dupont.com/Refrigerants/..._MO49Plus.html

Each is a slightly different blend of mostly R134A, then R125, R600 and R601A.

I had to eat a $1500 unit from Tecumseh 5 years ago because they do not reconize Hot-Shot
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast