Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Annus Horribilis roughly translated from the Latin means a Very Bad Year.

This year I broke my back in April and we suffered through two major hurricanes in September and October. This month, our only child, Patrick, called to inform us that he has been diagnosed with cancer. It is a systemic cancer, involving his kidneys, liver and pancreas. The tests have been ongoing. He's scheduled for surgery on Tuesday to remove a tumor on his liver. Tests on that will determine what chemo drugs will best treat his particular cancer.

He and his wife just moved to NYC for jobs where fortunately, hopefully, he is likely getting some of the best care available in the world. He has a form of cancer called extragonadal germ cell cancer which is very similar to what the famous bicyclist Lance Armstrong had but Pat's was luckily caught much earlier. It's highly treatable we're told and we can only support him, hope and pray for the best.

He's only 31 years old. Life really sucks sometimes.

Wow, Ice. You're undergoing a real serious series of tests, I guess.

Best wishes to your son and family, of course. Is he going to Sloan-Kettering MC for treatment? They're about the best in the world.

Man that's tough...hope everything goes alright

Sorry to read of your misfortunes. Hope all comes out well.
    R2B4BTU

my problems are minute compared to yours.My prayers are with you.Hope for the best

Wow icemeister, that is one very tough year. My prayers and best wishes for your son and you.

don
    don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Our prayers are with you & yours.
    Look forward to next year.

(Since it couldn't get much worse, it will get better.)

I really appreciate the kind thoughts, prayers and support from you guys. It means a lot at at time like this. Thanks.

Sorry to learn of this. We will pray for you guys.

Very sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out well for you and your family. Prayers here too.
    Get back to work.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Is he going to Sloan-Kettering MC for treatment? They're about the best in the world.
    He's going to St Vincent's in Manhattan where his Urologist put him onto one of the best C-Men in town. I understand these guys consult with Sloan-Kettering (and each other) all the time.

My son says this Oncologist is a real go-getter that makes things happen. He likes him and has a great deal of respect and confidence in him. That in itself is worth a whole lot. From what I heard so far, they're going with some fairly fancy new targeted chemo. The insurance company doesn't want to pay for it, so it must be the best.

Dang, Ice. Hang in there. Better times are coming. If things don't improve, you've got a good start on making a country & western hit song.

Hope everything works out.

We all take our turn at lifes tragedies, it is the nature of our existance. That kind of cancer treatment has a very high success rate and being he is only 31 I think he will be fine. It will suck for awhile and be very hard on all of you, the stress and worrying but in time it will pass. Good luck Ice. It's these kinds of things that make us appreciate what we do have and realize the small stuff we worry about daily ain't really all that important.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast