+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone work on a cruise ship hvac?

Post Likes

Thumbs down

how is it?
    hours?
    pay?
    work environment?
    job details
    can you mingle with the female guests on your time off?

depending on the above i am thinking about looking into doing this

Post Likes
    At one time I was also interested in working as a tech on a cruise ship. I did some research, and this is what I found:

Almost all cruise ships fly under a foreign flag, instead of an American flag. This way, the cruise ship operators don't have to follow U.S. labor laws. This allows them to pay very low wages, even for technical skills. That's why a very large number of cruise ship workers are from poor asian countries. They are willing to work for wages much less than an American would demand.

That's why more than half of the graduates of the US Maritime Academy never get jobs in the maritime sector.

You could get a job at a shipyard, doing ship maintenance & contruction work. But even that is a depressed industry.

Post Likes
    Of course #6 is highest priority, right blue

When I was on a Disney cruise couple years ago, I tried to get down to see the goodies. Since this was shortly after 9/11 didn't work out for security reasons.

Post Likes
    Depending on the flag the the ship is flying will determine the pay. But for the unlicienced crew it is usually low. On a British ship the officers are British and the crew third world. And that carries out for other nations.
    The HVAC work on a US flag ship (there are no cruse ships) would go to the First Assistant or one of the Third Assistants.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Post Likes
    Originally posted by 747ken
    Almost all cruise ships fly under a foreign flag, instead of an American flag. This way, the cruise ship operators don't have to follow U.S. labor laws. This allows them to pay very low wages, even for technical skills. That's why a very large number of cruise ship workers are from poor asian countries. They are willing to work for wages much less than an American would demand.

That's why more than half of the graduates of the US Maritime Academy never get jobs in the maritime sector.
    [/B]
    Another thing foreign flag ships aviod is tough inspections.

And of that half that get jobs in the maritime sector, alot of the jobs are shore side.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Of course #6 is highest priority, right blue

When I was on a Disney cruise couple years ago, I tried to get down to see the goodies. Since this was shortly after 9/11 didn't work out for security reasons.
    Bet number 6 could get them fired
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    I have done many cruises on the Love Boats #1-5.
    While repairing, maintaining the Worthington Centrifigals aboard.
    It was, and is not the best conditions I have ever had. The equipment room is hot, dirty and cramped.
    Salt water condensers are not the easiest to maintain and clean. Chill water loops are'nt that bad as they use boiler condensate to keep them filled. With the de-oxidizers the put in, very little cleaning is ever needed there.
    Some of the Machinists on board are truly Top-Notch...
    One of the compressors had the shaft repaired and was far undersized for proper bearing tolerances...
    As I had 4 rolls of Stay-Brite #8 in my lil' torch set, New as well as spare bearings were poured and machined using the Stay-Brite..The amazing thing is that even after 3 years on them, they never turned that ugly Brown color some manufacturers refer to as "Plastisizing"..
    (I never understood or questioned that term)
    If you can "Adjust" your attitude to one of "Getting Along" as the most important issue, it can be a great trip with "Wonderful" rewards..
    Show up with a chip on ones shoulder and it will truly be a nightmare come true....
    And never...I mean NEVER!!! attempt to correct the Chief Engineer in any stupid, dumb-ass statement he might make....EVER!!!
    Don't even think of asking me why or how I know on that one.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RichardL
    I just can't help but wonder.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by RichardL
    I just can't help but wonder.

Where do You think I met BJ.....LOL....
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Jobs are readily available aboard factory fish processing ships leaving from Seattle to fish in the Aleutian Islands. Not quite cruise ships though!

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes
    of course #6 is the most important lol

thanks for the replies guys

Post Likes
    I worked on a cruise ship one night and the women were amazing. They wouldn't leave me alone. Everyone of them claimed there was something wrong with the cooling in their cabins and when I inspected them they all claimed it was to hot to keep their clothes on.......oh, wait, that was a dream. Sorry.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    That was more like a nightmare..............for them.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in