Looking for Info on Geothermal and Applications

Hi am currently a student of an HVAC program and I have to do a report on the basics of geothermal heat pumps. I understand the general idea but I am a little confused about some of the details about how they work. I have been poking around on the internet and have found very limited info so I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some good sources.

Also, since I live in Phoenix, I am wondering if this is a good option here. Our ground water is pretty deep because it is a desert, and our cooling load in the summer is pretty enormous. Do you need ground water or moisture for them to work? I read somewhere that the heat builds up in the soil to some extent and with the combination of dry soil and lots of heat to remove, it seems like this might cause a problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Geo

You can put a horizontal loop in but you need to know what type of soil you are. You can alwYs put a soaker hose in with the loops. If you are real interested then email me and i can go threw my books I got when I went to class. The guy that trained me is doing a class in las vegas soon. It's $1250 and it's worth it. Kellerhvac@gmail.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    Hi am currently a student of an HVAC program and I have to do a report on the basics of geothermal heat pumps. I understand the general idea but I am a little confused about some of the details about how they work. I have been poking around on the internet and have found very limited info so I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some good sources.

Also, since I live in Phoenix, I am wondering if this is a good option here. Our ground water is pretty deep because it is a desert, and our cooling load in the summer is pretty enormous. Do you need ground water or moisture for them to work? I read somewhere that the heat builds up in the soil to some extent and with the combination of dry soil and lots of heat to remove, it seems like this might cause a problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Thumbs up

Hey thanks for the responses. I am shooting you an email skeller.

And thank you mccommons, that is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post

Open loop or "pump and dump" is also an option, yet most local codes restrict their use inside city limits around here. We install a handfull a year in the county zoning districts and have good luck with them.

Sounds like a fun project! Have fun!