Thread: These floor registers just lay there?

Post Likes

These floor registers just lay there?

Working on a light commercial project.

We just got a delivery of Hart and Cooley floor registers. Part #421 to be exact.

These things don't have any screw holes to secure them to the floor. They just rattle around in the duct boot. If you touch them them move, anybody could pick one up. They're just laying there not secured at all. This doesn't seem right and I'm not sure how we're supposed to secure these.

These are what I ordered but I didn't realize they would come sans screw holes. I'll be taking them back unless somebody can tell me the secret I'm missing.

Submittal sheet is here if you're interested.

All help is appreciated
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    Those floor registers are not meant to be secured. They just fit in the boot. I suppose you could get a commercial grade register that would secure but it would be more expensive.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    looks like it.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    The rattling noise is probably the cheap OBD opposed blade damper. The floor register is too heavy to bounce around unless your system is working at Mack 2 velocity. In that case call the Air Force and order from the same company that sells those toilet seats.
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
    Working on a light commercial project.

We just got a delivery of Hart and Cooley floor registers. Part #421 to be exact.

These things don't have any screw holes to secure them to the floor. They just rattle around in the duct boot. If you touch them them move, anybody could pick one up. They're just laying there not secured at all. This doesn't seem right and I'm not sure how we're supposed to secure these.

These are what I ordered but I didn't realize they would come sans screw holes. I'll be taking them back unless somebody can tell me the secret I'm missing.

Submittal sheet is here if you're interested.

All help is appreciated

and

Post Likes
    I have had a few of the really cheap builder's grade registers rattle in buildings that they oversized the unit by a couple tons, if all of them are shimmying and shaking ya might check the size of the unit, and ya you may have to do some drilln and screwn.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help. They've already gone back to the supply house.

There wasn't any rattle unless you stepped on the register but loose registers seem like a bad idea.

Thanks.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zzonko View Post

and

agreed. Get it done, son.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    OK you sent them back,What did you get to replace them??
    What was the floor made of? Why couldn't you adjust the boot opening to hold the register from wiggling around??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by REP View Post
    OK you sent them back,What did you get to replace them??
    What was the floor made of? Why couldn't you adjust the boot opening to hold the register from wiggling around??
    S-locks/drives as shims rock.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in