Thread: SB 5 RTAA

SB 5 RTAA

does someone have a service bulletin 5 for the rtaa machine.,
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Good luck with that. It's not even on the Trane site.

Cool

yea ., this is the thing., ihave the rtaa iom which everyone has, and i have the diag troubleshoot and repair manual also i have the rtaa chhb compressor troubleshooting ., with all this info you would think that this would b enough, guess not, all of these manuals have great info and troubleshooting procedures, WOW CAN SB5 B THAT IMPORTANT., ., must be lots of trane secrets in there.,??idk

but i know of a great friend that will help,,ed me ,,,thanks boss man
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Control Operation, Setup and Troubleshooting for RTAA Series R Air-Cooled Chiller Control Panel. UCM

That is the title of the lit. It was published in 6-1-1992.

I am curious why you have need of it if you were unsure what it pertained to.

i know what it is and what it is pertaining to., just when i am reading and following up with some of the other lit tells me to refer to it., so i would go there and venture but.....
    had a bud give it to me though
    thanks
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

I got it , whats the go though, you seem to ask for a lot of service bulletins , manuals etc reading won,t teach you everything

Here you go, dont tear anything up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

nope ., u r exactly right., but theory and field go hand in hand., also, i still have alot to learn., thanks rover and chad.,
    soon, instead of asking i will be helping others
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    I got it , whats the go though, you seem to ask for a lot of service bulletins , manuals etc reading won,t teach you everything
    If you know theory and basic chiller ops., reading can teach you everything. I printed rtaa s.b.5 without logging in, so I guess anyone can do it.

Majority of calls to these chillers I have found are due to oil problems but are not oil related as such , head pressure control to these chillers is essential, if you have failed fans etc you will have dramas.

There are upgrades available for more aggressive fan staging if your ambient requires. Also uprades for exv's .

Exv upgrade provides valves with site glass to view valve position similar to what you will see on a rthd .

Upgrades

The only problem with Trane's EXV upgrade package is you will have to change out all of the electronic expansion valves could be 2-4 valves depending on machine size and all the exv board(s). This is quite expensive if your only trying to gain control of head pressure at start up and don't have any exv issues. I had an RTAA 340 in a lab that was 100% outside air and after any shut down during the summer 95+ degrees with 99% humidity even the new chip for fan control wouldn't help. I just slowed down the chilled water reaction timer setting, problem solved.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    The only problem with Trane's EXV upgrade package is you will have to change out all of the electronic expansion valves could be 2-4 valves depending on machine size and all the exv board(s). This is quite expensive if your only trying to gain control of head pressure at start up and don't have any exv issues. I had an RTAA 340 in a lab that was 100% outside air and after any shut down during the summer 95+ degrees with 99% humidity even the new chip for fan control wouldn't help. I just slowed down the chilled water reaction timer setting, problem solved.-GEO
    I agree 100% . I wasn't commenting on exv upgrade being a solution to head pressure problems etc. Just trying to inform that there are upgrades available. However is soft loading the only option .

Options, Opinions, Out to lunch

Rover, no of course not. It is just in my case thats what worked for me. It is actually funny as Trane was out at this plant doing the start-up and their tech was "lost in space" because of this problem, His supervisor came out and it was more like Homer Simpson and the trailer park quartet trying to figure this one out. Their actual solution was to tie all of the fan contactor coils together at start-up and even that didn't work, when you have 96*F entering water.-GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO