Smile

I have been licenced for 10 years and have been running my own company with my brother for the last 8 years. We are strickly commercial/ industrial with a commercial Carrier dealership.
    Majority of our clients are automotive based were we service their process chillers, cooling towers, make-up air units, roof tops ect...ect...

I have my refrigeration/ air conditioning licence, a refrigeration engineering technican deploma, refrigerant ODP licence and my gas fitters 1 licence.

Now that you guys have a bit of my history, I am interested to find out what is involved with moving somewhere warm and getting a good job!! I would be open to trying out places like the Caymen Islands ect. I am 32 years old and single so relocating shouldn't be too dificult!

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated....just curious how dificult a complete new direction in life would be!!!!

Canada, a great county but no warm places. Do they even use heat pumps up there? You may enjoy anywhere in the bottom half of the US. The farther south you go the warmer it is all year long.

Nevada, we have done some work on heat pumps in commercial office buildings but that's about it!

Heat pumps are rarely used around here due to the outdoor temperatures!

Take some virtual tours of various parts of this Nation.

Visit chamber of commerce sites.

Visit http://www.fedstats.com to see stats on a variety of places around the USA.

If your used to high mountains and snow, but just want to get away from 10 month winters ... maybe the Pacific Northwest would be appealing to you.

Oregon for example, is wide open spaces. They only have to big cities, last I lived there. Portland and Eugene.
    Even the state capital was a small town atmosphere in comparison to major cities around the world.
    Washington state is another story. They have everything! Wide open spaces as well as mega cities and sprawling growth.
    The east parts of those two states is kind of mild and drier and the western parts are greener and wetter.

California is fine just as long as you stay above a certain line. A specific lattitude line ... that is.

Stay above San Francisco and you'll love it.

Northern California gets hot in summer and cold with alot of snow in winter. High mountains and lots of trees. Huge trees. Lots of them.

Unless you enjoy humidity .... stay out of the Southern States from say ... Central Texas and east all the way to Florida.
    They are humid for half the year.
    West of Central Texas, it's different. All the way into New Mexico, Arizona and into California.

Now Around Phoenix you've got heat ... HEAT for waaayyy too many months out of the year. And when I say it's hot ... I mean HOT!!! And that doenst change once the sun goes down either!
    But that's just Phoenix.
    New Mexico is not quite as bad, from tales I hear.
    And the California desert isnt like that either.
    Dry heat and once the sun sets, it begins to cool off quickly.

San Diego is like a Paradise climate. Relatively ,ild all year long.
    But EXPENSIVE ..... OUCH!!!

does anybody have any other suggestions??

Also would like to know what's involved with job visa's or work visa's ect..ect.

With my qualifications does it make getting a good job along with working rights within the States any easier??

My understanding is that as long as you have a letter of intent from an employer in the US than you are allowed to enter. I might be wrong but the rules are a whole lot more lax for our neighbors from the north.
    When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

There is a demand in the Caymans right now for qualified techs. Look for members here named bob boardman or cayamncl

Click on my profile and email me a resume, I can pass it on to some of the guys down here for you.

Grand Cayman was just pummelled by a hurricane so there is a lot of replacements happening now.

The only 'thors' I ever met were from Gimli.

[Edited by Carnak on 12-13-2004 at 11:14 PM]
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Carnak, from what i gather you are in the Cayman's??

Could you give me some idea of what the living standards are as far as housing, cost of living and average wages paid?

As far as socially, what type of activities could someone do?

I sent an e-mail to caymancl@candw.ky this morning inquiring about any possible available positions but have not heard back as of yet.

Living standards were quite high but there is a general housing shortage due to storm damage right now.

Cost of living is high. Local dollar is fixed to be worth US$1.20 right now. There is no income tax. You do not have to pay Revenue Canada either if you do it correctly.

I know the change of the cost of living from where I was in Canada, but I don't know where you are so perhaps you should email me.

I play slow pitch, snorkel, I am not into scuba tho. It is supposed to be world class diving.

Get cable tv, with pirated Canadian Channels.

Can get Dumauriers, Blue, Kokanne, Canadian, CC, Crown and VO.

One grocery chain sells President's Choice.

No Tim Hortons.

Quite a few canucks here.

and

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqinthenews/2004/ussadb/

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Thor

caymancl may not have a landbased telephone line or internet service restored yet. I have no phone line at home or work but managed to get wireless internet.

Smile

Carnak, thanks for the reply!

WOW, pretty strong earthquake....hope everything's O.K

I have read up on a few other sites and from what it sounds like there are allot of canadians in the Caymans. I am about 30 minutes north of Toronto, and it's -10 degrees outside as I type this!!! 9I am sick of this weather!)

What are the average wages for a licenced journeymen in the Cayman Islands?

I also read that you need to qualify to get a job visa, is that true? as mentioned earlier I am fully licenced but I also have a deploma in refrigeration engineering so possibly that might help??

If possible, I would love to maybe try working for like 3-4 months and test the waters, sort of like a probation period I guess!

Anyway, I really appreciate your replies and answers to all my questions....also with notifying me that there are no phone lines, I won't be wondering why they didn't respond to my e-mail!!!!
    If you speak to any of the employers there, could you ask if they would consider speaking to me?
    Thank you,

Click on my profile and email me