commercial or residential?
    Going to school right now for Refrigeration and Air Conditioning at college. I'm finishing in March, wondering if any one had advice on what someone should start out in their apprenticeship with. Res or Com?

Start out in commercial. You are not under the microscope as much so you can experiment a little with what you have learned.

Most importantly. Get a good working knowledge of the principles of Heat Transfer. Then you can get into any aspect of the business that life may lead you.

Do both. Learn installation as well as service too.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I started out as a technician, and worked my way back to installer. If the basics aren't understood and performed well, all the glitz and icing won't matter for squat.

If you don't understand how and why it was put together, how will you know if its right when you walk up on it? You only get one chance to do it right the first time...
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Thumbs up

I started in residential and have been a refer man for about six months now. I have heard it's easier to start in residential because there are a larger variety of conrols in res. If you like people then definately go for res. Commercial can tend to make you resent people. Good luck.
    I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.

res res res

Commericial is nothing but controls and automation. The variety of controls in commercial are way more complex w/ many, many, components you will just not see in residential.

Commercial also deals with installs all the time. I have done three installs myself since being out of school in June. Some of the MOB & POB buildings have your basic split systems. These installs that I have done were also quoted and sold by me as well.

I guess I see commercial as the best place to start. You get a taste of everything from small fridges to 1000 ton Chillers.....from direct driven exhaust fan to VAV's.

Plus if your lookin to make money and have no bounderies.....GO COMMERCIAL. Be prepared to be thrown to the wolves with a cell phone for back up. That only applies for comm. though. Residential may do things different. But not wanting to find out either. LOL

Whatever you decide with..good luck and BE SAFE!

Thanks everyone.

comercial so you do not have to crawl under a nasty house

If you looked at an accurate org chart showing all the multiple facets of this industry ... you'd realise that words get thrown around like tomatoes in a food fight.

What the word "commercial" means to one man means something totally different to the next guy.

Collect some details about the work you are about to embark upon.
    And do not rely upon nomenclature to define what you are doing.

Light commercial means A/C strip centers with five ton RTU's all over the roof.
    They can be gas-paks or split systems.

But you may find you like the larger stuff like 35 ton RTU's.

Ask questions. Take accurate notes. Interview people here or in person.

Talking res or comm

start with the basics. you start with the basic rough in, then the trim then set the equip, work with a installer in res then a tech for several start ups. Com a lot of standing around and thinking abot whats going on. keep up schooling fro the comm applications. you get to that in no time.understand the basic refrigeration first. trust me.

Start with what ever you can get your feet wet with. But don't be affraid to try everything you can. You'll gain knowledge and learn a ton.

Plus a few years from now when someone asks your question, you can give them an answer :-)

I worked this past summer with a company doing reno's in supermarkets. I assume this is more specialized then regular commercial work. Either way it sorta gave me a taste of commercial work. Here they are most likely changing the apprenticeship. 3 years of residential to become a journeyman or 5 years commercial for your ticket. My thinking is that commercial is probaly the way to go. Having said all that I will just be happy to find a job in the trade and learn as much as I can while doing it.