Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WebCTRL on Google Chrome...

Does anyone know what I have to do to get this to work for me?

Any help would be nice, thanks.

All you'll ever be able to view with Chrome is the WAP screens. To get it to work like IE you would need to get Google to implement support for ActiveX. I'd say the chances of that are < 0.

It's something that's always bugged me. The application itself is fairly platform independant so you can run the server on anything with Java support but then the UI forces you to use a Windows only browser.

Maybe in the future they'll move away from ActiveX; trending is already handled by applets and Energy reports is built using Flash.

That was my mode of thinking but had read in numerous places that it was possible to change source codes over in a manner that allowed for the same viewing window as found using IE? Sounded like it was quite technical, but was something I had thought about venturing into..

On a completely unrelated note, how familiar are you with ER?

You can use this instructions to get an IE tab in Chrome, assuming you're using Chrome on Windows (Obviously it won't work on anything that doesn't have IE). This isn't actually running ActiveX in chrome it's running the site in IE but rendering it within a Chrome tab. I'm not real sure why you'd do this instead of just opening IE but to each his own.

I'm not sure if this will work with WebCTRL though as I *think* WebCTRL is looking at the headers in the initial request and redirecting to the WAP login.

You can also just try adding "--allow-all-activex" after chrome.exe in the shortcut this will force Chrome to allow some ActiveX but I've never tested it on WebCTRL.

I'm not real familiar with ER; I played with it a little but we never deployed it.

There is a plugin for firefox that allows it to report to the web server that it is another browser. That's the first thing you need in order to not get the WAP screens. I would assume there is something similar necessary for chrome?

I never actually got it to work in firefox but I did get it to pass the browser check where it loaded the boarders and lots of missing info and white boxes.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

Thanks for the insight. I was curious about ER because I am wondering what routes people have been taking in regard to draw attention from the customer. I have a couple vantage points I take but am always looking to expand.

I'd represent an end user so I'd be of no help with regards to marketing ER.

It's pretty but I think a fixed scheme or API would go a long way towards making it more attractive to larger entities that most likely already have all of the necessary data stored in various databases around the enterprise.

Last I talked with the developers ER wasn't yet supporting querying any database but it's own. This means if you have hundreds or thousands of facilities and you already have systems containing energy use and facility data you would have to essentially replicate the data entry to get ER up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    There is a plugin for firefox that allows it to report to the web server that it is another browser. That's the first thing you need in order to not get the WAP screens. I would assume there is something similar necessary for chrome?

I never actually got it to work in firefox but I did get it to pass the browser check where it loaded the boarders and lots of missing info and white boxes.
    Same issue here, I used the IE plug-in with FF and no dice. Your stuck with IE with WebCTRL.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

There is an IE plugin for Chrome that WebCtrl will run with but I have found in WebCtrl 4.1 SP1b that if you use the right click menu from the tree items it doesn't like it. Also ER will run better using Firefox than it does in IE.

Ausccn..

Sorry, forgot the screen shot..

Aus..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ausccn; 10-21-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Ausccn-

Sounds like you have what I was searching for. The plug-in that you used, did you purchase that or sneak it out of somewhere?

I'm of the opinion that an IE plugin for chrome or ff sort of defeats the purpose of using them in the first place...
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

Could you expand on that one, I do not really follow the logic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast