Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One out of ten men knows what RSES is all about!!!

I got that figure from a man who knows this industry here in Central Texas. He has lived this work for thirty years.

He manages a wholesale branch of a major line of parts.

1 in 10!

And there is little or no support for furthering education in this area. It is like pulling teeth.

We talked for ninety minutes yesterday about this very subject!

To say that I am shocked is an understatement.

Yet... reflecting back over 24 plus years in this trade, I have worked for only one company who ever participated in RSES.
    One Single Employer!!!

Oh sure ... there are many all over the place who do know all about the group.
    But the number is 1 in 10.

RSES, like other organizations of our trade, have their strong locations and their weak ones. I have been a guest technical speaker for the Delaware Chapter of RSES several times over the past few years where RSES is strong. In Maryland, RSES is not so strong but ACCA is. In New Jersey it is the PHCC that is the best support for HVAC.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I can't say for certain, but in my area (western SD) it's virtually unknown aswell. Or maybe I should say not supported moreso than unknown.

Originally posted by amickracing
    I can't say for certain, but in my area (western SD) it's virtually unknown aswell. Or maybe I should say not supported moreso than unknown.
    I know nearly all the contractors in the Rapid City area. Who do you work for and how long have you been there?

Norm

I received all of my early formal training through RSES, supported and taught by the seasoned techs in my first company and those in the community. As close to a union house as you'll find in a right to work state. Old school ethics passing on hard earned knowledge.

Like any organization, it needs volunteers to survive. Get involoved.
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Originally posted by NormChris
    I know nearly all the contractors in the Rapid City area. Who do you work for and how long have you been there?

Norm
    Action Mechanical, been there 4 years. Hoping for more, but there's some rough waters.

Originally posted by amickracing
    Originally posted by NormChris

Norm
    Action Mechanical, been there 4 years. Hoping for more, but there's some rough waters.
    Do you remember "Air One"?

One employer sent me to bid a retrofit W/I cooler job. I did the job and when it was time to submit the billing, he asked that I write down every nut and bolt used.

When I wrote down one dollar for a schrader valve cap, hard seal, he demended to know where I got that price from.
    I told him I guessed.

He flat came unglued!!! He about broke his oak top desk!!!
    I feared the windows were about to explode any second now.

Some guys place too much emphesis on micro managing others under them rather than developing trusting relationships.

Some folks are just so tite they squeek when they talk.

Iguess I shouldnt expect them to allow their slaves to attend training seminars where they will be out from under the watchful eye of their boss.
    Especially at their employer's expence. And on his time to boot!

No matter how loyal that employee may be.
    No matter how much good that training will do for the company.

Some areas have very strong rses participation.I was trained in toledo & they were running three classes a night three times a week with 10-20 guys per class.
    Take your time & do it right!

When I was in the Air Force we went to Boise, Id once a week for classes. They were really good too, but I dont think they are anywhere near where I am now. Never have enough knowledge can ya?
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

I happened to stumble on their website while doing a Google search on HVAC training. I since have joined the organization. The local chapter has mainly retired guys and the monthly meeting has been reduced to going out to a local restaurant and BSing. Even though I am about 30 years younger than the other members, I still think that there is a lot of experience and mentoring that I can get out of the chapter. I am pursuaing my CMS and I feel RSES has a very good technical training program.

Does anyone know why organizations like RSES have declined in numbers? I have noticed the same for Elks , VFW etc...

I don't even know who RSES is

but I think Beenie says he's a member. Are you talking 1 in 10 in the trade or in the general population?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast