Condenser Unit, 1 vs 2 compressors

What are the advantages and or disadvantages assoc w/ dual vs single condenser unit compressors?

cost: 2 compressors cost more than 1 compressor (with the exception of the IQ drive)
    weight: 2 compressors weigh more than 1 compressor (for the installer)

From what you listed, I don't see an advantage to dual compressors. I assume if 1 of the 2 compressors goes out, the condenser unit is still dead in the water?

I will assume you are talking about the Trane/Am Std unit.

The advantage is you have a near 50% capacity in lo stage instead of 70% like most residential 2 stage units. Gives longer runtimes, better dehumidification.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    From what you listed, I don't see an advantage to dual compressors. I assume if 1 of the 2 compressors goes out, the condenser unit is still dead in the water?
    Not necesarily Rose, It is percievable to think if say -the smaller compressor does indeed fail, the larger compressor would be there to back it up.

The smaller compressor will get used most of the time.

Now there are a multitude of failures that would make both compressors not work. There are situations where something could kill both compressors.

But i would say you have a good chance of having a backup.

In the 2 compressor setup, first stage uses less electricity than a hair dryer. With a two speed single compressor the system uses the same amount of electricity regardless of the stage it's in.

The real question is, does the extra money for the two stage really give you a payback? According to my calculations based on our pricing... no.

Two stages should give better comfort and dehumidification. If you are comfortable with a higher thermostat setting that should save operating $$.

A single two-speed compressor should draw less amps in low. And you have more coil/ton in low. should be more efficeint save operating $

Longer cycles = fewer cycle = less start up loss. should save operating $.

One complicated compressor might be cheaper than two simpler units.

I like the idea of two simpe compressors, but I'm not sure it makes any real difference.

I have seen single stage units have two compressors I guiess to simplify stocking for the manufacturer.