Thread: Accumulator?

Accumulator?

Anyone ever heard of a subcooling type suction accumulator and have any literature explaining piping/operation?
    It might get loud!

I've seen one in a drawing Trane did for long run heat pumps. Specifically when the outdoor unit is above the indoor unit by more than 50 feet. They wanted an accumulator with a little cap tube brazed in, I believe it was to eliminate flash gas in such a long run.

Gotta love google. Check page 20 http://www.trane.co.za/cd/pdf/techni...ion_piping.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by duke of earl View Post
    Anyone ever heard of a subcooling type suction accumulator and have any literature explaining piping/operation?
    I've installed or I should say replaced a pile of them through the years. We had a company that used them on their condensing units. The problem was, they insulated them and they tended to rust out. They're not all that difficult to pipe. The suction side connections are the same as a standard accumulator. The liquid side gets connected between the condenser and the receiver (if you have one) I've never seen an "in" or "out" on the liquid ports so it doesn't matter which way you connect them. Refrigeration Research builds them and probably would have specs etc on them.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by duke of earl View Post
    Just curious, what kind of system or what app are you using them for??
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Liquid-Line/Suction-Line sub-coolers work differently on different refrigerants....On R-22 as an example, you will see an increase in capacity at the expansion valve but you will see a net effect of a loss in capacity due to the weird superheating effect on R-22.
    Whilst' our beloved R-717 will result in a marked increase in overall capacity with a LL/SL subcooler along with a very slight increase in capacity using R-12.... Go figure..
    As Pneuma wisely stated earlier in this post, if you have an evaporator 40-50' above the condensor, some sort of sub-cooling is in order to maintain a solid stream of liquid to the expansion valve, be it a water cooled sub-cooler or the LL/SL you refer too...
    It's just that ya' can't get something fer' nothing any more...
    the latest thing appears to be a flat plate heat exchanger subcoolinng the liquid is one way without an increse in suction "Superheat"
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Heres a link http://www.refresearch.com/Portals/26/PDF/5.pdf.

Let me guess AAON split system?
    If I would of killed my wife when I first met her, I'd be out of jail by now!

GET SOME!!

Doubledeuce has esp! It was recommended by Aaon due to the 150 ft piping distance between indoor/outdoor equipment. Has HGBP and HG Reheat-I doubt the compressors will last very long on this system cause scrolls don't like long pipes!
    It might get loud!