Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 42

Thread: Made in America

  1. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    28
    I currently work in the Wholesale Radiator industry. (Trying to break into HVAC) I can't think of one aftermarket brand manufactured in the USA with the exception of copper/brass radiator cores. The cores however are usually two to three times the price of the import complete part. The only time I can sell a core is when the complete is no longer available or the radiator belongs to a large piece of equipment. Most of the time we are up against the part stores or internet where the bottom dollar wins. It's sad really.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,321
    Its interesting that you mentioned sneakers, as nike is one of the companies who got burned BIG TIME by the chinese.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by ct_hvac_tech View Post
    And that's exactly what our government wants. They WANT it to be just like China where to government lives high on a hill and keeps the citizens poor. And you know who's fault it is we are headed this way? It's the fault of the American voters. The people who don't see this stuff or don't care.

    my brother in law is a self employed house appraiser. With all this health care reform, if they do not buy into the national health care system, they will now be fined over $700 every MONTH. If they do buy into it, they will be paying over $2,000 a month.

    So yeah....people voted for change and they GOT change.
    Your brother in law got some bad advice. He needs to go back and reread the section on mandated health care coverage. If he already has insurance he can keep it. If he is self employed more options will soon open up because pre-existing conditions will no longer lock you out of good plans. The figures posted above don't look right at all.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    1,288
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Its interesting that you mentioned sneakers, as nike is one of the companies who got burned BIG TIME by the chinese.
    I believe New Balance shoes are American made.
    Signature on hold. Trying to find a real Jefferson quote I like. Others here have bogus Jefferson quotes too.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    houston, texas
    Posts
    3,787
    Quote Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
    I believe New Balance shoes are American made.
    New Balance are counterfited in China big time, not sure if they are an American brand or not.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

    Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own






  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    here is a made in America directory

    http://www.americansworking.com/





    -----------------
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, IA (The new rainforest)
    Posts
    699
    Good posts all around. It's a good discussion, and no one, despite their topic, has really taken away from it.

    New Balance is American-made, turns an amazing profit, and does a lot of donations to the Susan G. Komen foundation. (I got to ask a couple quick questions at their booth at the Race for the Cure today)

    Anytime I see something flat out amazing like that, I can't help but want to shed a tear of overflowing awesomeness.

    Until I worked in a factory for three years, I didn't get it, I was like most other Americans. Didn't buy American as much as possible. (I still have two imports in my driveway, one is a piece of **** Kia that breaks down a lot, and the other is a Mitsubishi with 117,000 miles on it and only major repairs have been wheel bearings, and a new control arm from the craptastic job of taking off the spindles for said wheel bearings) I try to buy American and support American companies as much as possible, because, like you said, I've seen the downfall of the economy unfold as all of these ungodly amounts of manufacturing jobs have gone overseas or folded in Iowa alone. I can't even imagine the rest of the country.

    I do still shop at wal-mart, and thats because I'm broke as f***! I'm living off the unemployment I get for going to school, and my wife's unemployment for the heinous firing she got for absolutely NO reason whatsoever of her own doing.

    It's simple economics, $100 goes a lot further at wal-mart than at the local Hy-Vee...however, that tide is starting to turn the other direction, and as it does, I balance my time. I try to support local stores as much as possible, but you'll never get me to stop supporting Mitsubishi motors. That Lancer is pretty much indestructible, and that's with ME driving it! Like I said, 117,000 miles and still kicking like a mule on cocaine.

    That being said, I just had to drop my two cents worth.

    And besides, those who bag on ALL the government programs obviously don't have ALL of the facts.

    Fact #1: If there were no unemployment insurance, the economy would have been in a freefall. The laid off workers needed an income stream to keep the economy going. The companies and other people who allowed the massive exporting of jobs need to realize that these workers are the REASON the economy was so good in the first place, they were making good money and able to buy more extravagant stuff.

    Fact #2: The Republicans were the ones who blocked the stuff to make the health care plans proposed by the Democrats (Remember public option?) seem devastating to the American public. Chuck Grassley (whose first name rhymes with what I think he can do to himself, and also I'm ashamed to say, comes from Iowa) is the one who infamously said "They're gonna pull the plug on Grandma" about that whole Michelle Bachman-****stirred "death panels" crap. It was the Republican road blocks that lead to the stripping of great ideas from this bill. Was it wrong? No. Was it a step in the right direction? Yes. Does it still need more work to continue to get better and more efficient? You bet your Sarah Palin-loving ass it does! It's NEW legislation, it's going to take time to make it better. Medicare did as well! You didn't see people complaining about it this whole time did you?

    Fact #3: It's the Republicans who want to make laws and radically change social security, VA healthcare, and health care in general......


    And they call themselves "regular working-class folks"

    I know I wouldn't sell out my generation to make a buck in the short term. I wouldn't sell out what my grandparents worked their whole lives for. I wouldn't sell out what my friends, neighbors, and grandparents have fought for all over the world.

    When I hear republicans wanting to create a VA voucher system, it makes me want to *****slap a puppy in the face. Rationing health care for people who gave EVERYTHING in their lives to go fight these wars for us, sacrificing time away from loved ones, and in some cases giving their lives for these causes. They've done the ultimate sacrifice. If you ask me, a soldier at war, during wartime service, should make TWICE the amount of the HIGHEST PAID CEO. Because the CEO isn't having bullets shot at his fat ass!
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    wow dmac

    that was a long frikkn post!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

    unfortunately, buying goods produced in china is what has made us all so broke and now we all have to buy chinese krapp cus it is all we can afford!!!!!!!!!!

    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????????????????

    bill clinton, the friend of the working man

    passed nafta!!!!!!!!!

    alot of it started then!

    ofcourse American auot manufacturers making absolute bottom of the line krapp
    from 1973-2003 did not help either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    hang in there bro'












    Quote Originally Posted by DMACCGrad11 View Post
    Good posts all around. It's a good discussion, and no one, despite their topic, has really taken away from it.

    New Balance is American-made, turns an amazing profit, and does a lot of donations to the Susan G. Komen foundation. (I got to ask a couple quick questions at their booth at the Race for the Cure today)

    Anytime I see something flat out amazing like that, I can't help but want to shed a tear of overflowing awesomeness.

    Until I worked in a factory for three years, I didn't get it, I was like most other Americans. Didn't buy American as much as possible. (I still have two imports in my driveway, one is a piece of **** Kia that breaks down a lot, and the other is a Mitsubishi with 117,000 miles on it and only major repairs have been wheel bearings, and a new control arm from the craptastic job of taking off the spindles for said wheel bearings) I try to buy American and support American companies as much as possible, because, like you said, I've seen the downfall of the economy unfold as all of these ungodly amounts of manufacturing jobs have gone overseas or folded in Iowa alone. I can't even imagine the rest of the country.

    I do still shop at wal-mart, and thats because I'm broke as f***! I'm living off the unemployment I get for going to school, and my wife's unemployment for the heinous firing she got for absolutely NO reason whatsoever of her own doing.

    It's simple economics, $100 goes a lot further at wal-mart than at the local Hy-Vee...however, that tide is starting to turn the other direction, and as it does, I balance my time. I try to support local stores as much as possible, but you'll never get me to stop supporting Mitsubishi motors. That Lancer is pretty much indestructible, and that's with ME driving it! Like I said, 117,000 miles and still kicking like a mule on cocaine.

    That being said, I just had to drop my two cents worth.

    And besides, those who bag on ALL the government programs obviously don't have ALL of the facts.

    Fact #1: If there were no unemployment insurance, the economy would have been in a freefall. The laid off workers needed an income stream to keep the economy going. The companies and other people who allowed the massive exporting of jobs need to realize that these workers are the REASON the economy was so good in the first place, they were making good money and able to buy more extravagant stuff.

    Fact #2: The Republicans were the ones who blocked the stuff to make the health care plans proposed by the Democrats (Remember public option?) seem devastating to the American public. Chuck Grassley (whose first name rhymes with what I think he can do to himself, and also I'm ashamed to say, comes from Iowa) is the one who infamously said "They're gonna pull the plug on Grandma" about that whole Michelle Bachman-****stirred "death panels" crap. It was the Republican road blocks that lead to the stripping of great ideas from this bill. Was it wrong? No. Was it a step in the right direction? Yes. Does it still need more work to continue to get better and more efficient? You bet your Sarah Palin-loving ass it does! It's NEW legislation, it's going to take time to make it better. Medicare did as well! You didn't see people complaining about it this whole time did you?

    Fact #3: It's the Republicans who want to make laws and radically change social security, VA healthcare, and health care in general......


    And they call themselves "regular working-class folks"

    I know I wouldn't sell out my generation to make a buck in the short term. I wouldn't sell out what my grandparents worked their whole lives for. I wouldn't sell out what my friends, neighbors, and grandparents have fought for all over the world.

    When I hear republicans wanting to create a VA voucher system, it makes me want to *****slap a puppy in the face. Rationing health care for people who gave EVERYTHING in their lives to go fight these wars for us, sacrificing time away from loved ones, and in some cases giving their lives for these causes. They've done the ultimate sacrifice. If you ask me, a soldier at war, during wartime service, should make TWICE the amount of the HIGHEST PAID CEO. Because the CEO isn't having bullets shot at his fat ass!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    tennessie ernie ford 16 tons 1955

    You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
    Another day older and deeper in debt.
    Saint Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can't go;
    I owe my soul to the company store...


    written about the kentucky coal mines
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, IA (The new rainforest)
    Posts
    699
    You wanna know the good news? I'm about six months and two weeks away from graduation. I can't wait to get out in the field and make **** happen!

    But you hit the nail on the head, the auto makers just made bottom line, cheap junk that was replaceable after 75k. (Remember the first Dodge Caravans?) Now cars are lasting over 150k from the import makers. The US cars are just starting to catch up although I worry with all the amazing electronic gadgets, that the layman won't be able to ever work on their car.

    I'm still supporting Mitsubishi though because I love the Lancer, it made me rediscover the joy of driving...not so much the joy of repair however, but you know, I drive more than I repair, so I can't complain.
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    we were afraid o buy another American car!
    we have had 10-12 American cars right off the showroom floor!
    none of them went 50k without very expensive repairs and were very undependable!
    not to mention the resale value?? that is a joke! they have NO value after 5 years!

    anyhow we bought a 2002 mittsubishi montero, the full size one
    from june of 2001 until october of 2010 the only thing it has needed was front brakes and a new power antennae !!!!!!!!!!!1
    last week we think we blew a head gasket????
    i have to put a pressure tester on it still!

    i bought Helen a 2010 buick lacrosse fo xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i am hoping it is as good of a car is it looks!!!!!!!!!!!!


    i forgot you were in school??
    good luck!!!!!





    Quote Originally Posted by DMACCGrad11 View Post
    You wanna know the good news? I'm about six months and two weeks away from graduation. I can't wait to get out in the field and make **** happen!

    But you hit the nail on the head, the auto makers just made bottom line, cheap junk that was replaceable after 75k. (Remember the first Dodge Caravans?) Now cars are lasting over 150k from the import makers. The US cars are just starting to catch up although I worry with all the amazing electronic gadgets, that the layman won't be able to ever work on their car.

    I'm still supporting Mitsubishi though because I love the Lancer, it made me rediscover the joy of driving...not so much the joy of repair however, but you know, I drive more than I repair, so I can't complain.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marshalltown, IA (The new rainforest)
    Posts
    699
    Yeah tek, sooooooo close to being done with my AAS. I can't wait to get into a place and start clocking internship hours. And get a sweet ass van with hydros and wicked sound system and a big hemi under the hood.

    And when I wake up...
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    i just drive an old ford truck??








    Quote Originally Posted by DMACCGrad11 View Post
    Yeah tek, sooooooo close to being done with my AAS. I can't wait to get into a place and start clocking internship hours. And get a sweet ass van with hydros and wicked sound system and a big hemi under the hood.

    And when I wake up...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event