Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 29
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,557
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I disagree. To me 10% means 10%.

    Especially with the capacitors we've all been dealing with lately. They don't seem to have any "tolerance" even when you use the right size one. So in a fix I might use a 12.5 instead of a 10 but I would go back to change it.
    I would also go back and change it. No reason not to.

    Actually, the tolerances have grown larger for the manufacture of overseas components for electronics. 5% isn't what it used to be. If you wanted a great deal of accuracy, you would use Mil Spec. Now, if you want any accuracy at all, you need Mil Spec.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  2. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I would also go back and change it. No reason not to.

    Actually, the tolerances have grown larger for the manufacture of overseas components for electronics. 5% isn't what it used to be. If you wanted a great deal of accuracy, you would use Mil Spec. Now, if you want any accuracy at all, you need Mil Spec.
    Very true, but why even bother making the specs at all if your going to just venture out of them anyway even if just a little.

    These compenants are designed for said specs blah blah blah I do not know why people insist on pushing that bar and avoid following them to the exact. Is the risk of broken equipment really with it, maybe its job security I dont know but at times it gets aggravating.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    SW Michigan, near Battle Creek
    Posts
    921
    I think its just one of those things.
    if you had payed the big buck for the first call you would still have had the second
    maybe with the right capacitor and running part time the motor would have failed next summer instead of this.
    inside blower motors are happy running 24-7 why not outside?
    what bothers me is the possibility of an electical supply problem that is causing all this mayham

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,081
    Maybe it was the motor that caused all of the problems to begin with. And the board and cap were damaged by the motor. And the tech using a 12.5 instead of a 10, had absolutely nothing to do with the motor failing completely later.

    I'm sure the rest of you have put on a new cap that was the size listed by the motor. And less then a year later. The motor goes out. Because it was what caused the cap to go out.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Bob View Post
    Very true, but why even bother making the specs at all if your going to just venture out of them anyway even if just a little.
    I think the answer to that is that you don't have the right cap with you, and you use the 12.5 as a temporary fix to get the customer some cooling.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Maybe it was the motor that caused all of the problems to begin with. And the board and cap were damaged by the motor. And the tech using a 12.5 instead of a 10, had absolutely nothing to do with the motor failing completely later.

    I'm sure the rest of you have put on a new cap that was the size listed by the motor. And less then a year later. The motor goes out. Because it was what caused the cap to go out.

    Yes, of course, we've all done things totally by "the book" and still have had failures. But my point is why leave yourself open to potential problems like the OP is talking about. The last thing I want is some HO telling me that some other company said I did something wrong and caused a problem.

    I'm old School and don't do everything by "the book" but I do always try and use the right Capactior size, motor size etc. Its got to give you a better chance of success not to mention CYA.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,557
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Yes, of course, we've all done things totally by "the book" and still have had failures. But my point is why leave yourself open to potential problems like the OP is talking about. The last thing I want is some HO telling me that some other company said I did something wrong and caused a problem.

    I'm old School and don't do everything by "the book" but I do always try and use the right Capactior size, motor size etc. Its got to give you a better chance of success not to mention CYA.
    It occurs to me that the first company may have wanted to return to replace the temporary cap, but was prevented from doing so. They might have been told not to return because "this is all I want for a repair right now."

    We have to bear in mind that we were not there to hear the tone and tenor of these conversations.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  8. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,081
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Yes, of course, we've all done things totally by "the book" and still have had failures. But my point is why leave yourself open to potential problems like the OP is talking about. The last thing I want is some HO telling me that some other company said I did something wrong and caused a problem.

    I'm old School and don't do everything by "the book" but I do always try and use the right Capactior size, motor size etc. Its got to give you a better chance of success not to mention CYA.
    I'm not saying that that company should have used a 12.5 cap.

    Then again. We don't know that the original cap wasn't replaced a few years before this. And that tech put a 12.5 on because he didn't have a 10, and it ran for years like that. And this tech just looked at what the cap was he removed, and replaced like for like.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I think the answer to that is that you don't have the right cap with you, and you use the 12.5 as a temporary fix to get the customer some cooling.
    Very true but its important to remember it was a temp fix and that it should be replace asap.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,557
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I'm not saying that that company should have used a 12.5 cap.

    Then again. We don't know that the original cap wasn't replaced a few years before this. And that tech put a 12.5 on because he didn't have a 10, and it ran for years like that. And this tech just looked at what the cap was he removed, and replaced like for like.
    That in itself is an excellent point.

    For that reason, I have gotten into the habit of looking at the motor label whenever I can to see what size cap is required.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  11. #24
    Lot of interesting stuff.

    To give more info on the story to help with the question (granted I know this was my fault) and as this is all a continued learning experience for next time.

    Air upstairs went out on Tuesday night, called after hours to set up appt for next day and told tech would call me between 1-5. took half day off on Wed, no one called. called at 3:00 and lady said she remembered me calling but forgot to put me on the books. Set me up for Thursday morning so another half day off and a second day of arranging for living arrangements, etc for another day.

    Diagnosed Capacitor and Circuit board were bad in attic. Needed to service unit to look for leaks, low freon (hope I spelled that right), etc. Went outside to check on the servicing of outside unit and techs were servicing downstairs unit. told them they were servicing wrong unit and was told that he though I wanted both units serviced (didn't sit right). Told them I wanted my upstairs unit working and thats it, no need to touch downstairs. $ to replace capacitor and service unit and would be a total of $ to replace the circuit board also. the whole thing didn't sit right with me, you were already in the unit replacing capacitor, maybe another half hour to hour more to replace circuit board at $ per hour on a $ part. With everything that happened before with the appt and the service received, decided I did not want to overpay for the circuit board and would call another company out to just replace circuit board. Ran into a money crunch (health issues) and a week turned into 1 1/2 months. when fan motor went out 6 weeks later, i knew not only that I was late on getting the circuit board changed but also that we had more problems now because of everything mentioned in 1st post. that is when new tech from new company said blower motor went out because of size of capacitor and not because it was routed around circuit board. anyway, that is the story.

    not sure if the motor would have went out anyway, maybe but maybe not. should not have waited 6 weeks and lesson learned. AC company (I will not call them out) that came out first time to me were bad from scheduling to after customer service and this is a well known Texas AC Company. Had to go all the way up to main office general manager to get questions answered after 3 weeks of no return calls at from local general manager, main office manager or main general manager and after all that basically just got blown off. No big deal now.

    Thanks for everyone's help on here, this is a good site to learn.
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-28-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: prices

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    68,081
    No prices in post, please read site rules, thank you.

    I already removed them from your post.

    Often, if there is more then 3 prices. we just delete the whole post.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  13. #26

    Sorry

    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No prices in post, please read site rules, thank you.

    I already removed them from your post.

    Often, if there is more then 3 prices. we just delete the whole post.
    Understand, sorry about that.

    If you don't mind, please just remove my entire post. Without prices, doesn't really make sense.

    Sorry for the inconvience and thank you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event