Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've got a Chevy van and the factory speakers sound like doo doo. It's got 2 in the doors and 2 in that plastic overhead enclosure above the back door. I've got a good Kenwood stereo in it, but the bass and high sounds are pathetic with those speakers.

What kind of speakers do I need?

In my experience and opinion Infinity will give the best sound quality in factory mounting locations, but they are pretty expensive. Sony's XPlod speakers seem to do fairly well also, and are a little cheaper. Try to find a coaxial speaker (small speaker in middle of a larger one) this will give a broader sound frequency response, thus better treble and bass response.

[Edited by megaton on 12-09-2004 at 09:03 PM]
    If at first you don't succeed....
    Dig in the trash for the instructions!

The best way to test your speakers is to have my wife ride with you . If you can hear your speakers above my wife talking, their damned good speakers.

Get one of them $1000 boom boxes like in the hood....drive around all day with it booming in your head, you will be glad to get out and work after that.
    My son had one in his old blazer, the system was worth more than the ride was. I had to use it once and I didn't have my glasses, couldn't figger out how to stop it. My head started throbing and I just kept hitting buttons till it finaly quit......wheeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww.
    And it was only turned up about 1/10 of the way too....
    I don't know how them kids can stand that. I mean, I liked loud music and played the drums in several bands and all that jazz.......but that stuff......I dunno, maybe I just turned into an old fart.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Stereo speakers?

Wife and daughter

I installed good Pioneer CD player in place of the GM radio deal and set a pair of Pioneer 6x9 4-way's in prefab speaker boxes behind the front seats in my 2002 GMC Savanna. Much better highs and a good punch to the bass end.

DICE a drummer????What was your stage name,RINGO DICE??

Originally posted by bigbird
    The best way to test your speakers is to have my wife ride with you . If you can hear your speakers above my wife talking, their damned good speakers.
    The factory ones distort really bad before they drown out the wife. When she gets mad, she outwoofs the woofers.

seriously if you are looking for some good speakers for an allright price get some Pioneer speakers. (2 way speakers at least)

Originally posted by icemeister
    I installed good Pioneer CD player in place of the GM radio deal and set a pair of Pioneer 6x9 4-way's in prefab speaker boxes behind the front seats in my 2002 GMC Savanna. Much better highs and a good punch to the bass end.
    You just jogged my memory. Those are the same speakers I had in another van, only mine were in the doors. Seems like I had to butcher out the holes to make them fit. They did sound pretty good as I recall. Fairly good bass and real tingly highs.

I'm starting to forget what cymbals sound like.

Originally posted by icemeister
    That's what I have. Pioneer 6x9s in boxes on the partition. The boxes sit behind the wall, with the speakers flush mounted in the compartment. Hooked up to a nice Alpine deck.

I'd go with Infinity Kappa's. Of course these sound best with an amplifier. You already have a Kenwood stereo, might as well drop a few bucks for good sound...even if it is the company van. I'll be doing the same soon. If you're just going to let the stereo power the speakers, Sony or Pioneer will do, and they aren't that expensive. Make sure you look at the RMS watts and stay within the range that your stereo puts out. Higher wattage rating on speakers will only damage them if not powered properly. The stereo probably only puts out 25 to 40 watts x 4. If not powering speakers with an amp...stick to speakers within that range. If you just want a minimal upgrade, look at Wal-Mart...they sell Sony and Pioneer. If you want a little more...research Crutchfield, find the speakers you want, then purchase them on Ebay. I cut my savings almost in half.
    Get back to work.

you say you have a kenwood head unit...why not go with kenwood speakers, the "excelon" line is quite nice, they put out decent sound, and stay clear.

speaking of kenwood, anyone have/see that kenwood "music keg" that is out now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast