Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Zuba Central Install

This is the Canadian Zuba Central Air-to-Air heat pump made by Mitsubishi Electric. Its based off the same technology as City Multi, and can heat with COPs over 1.0 at -30C (-22F). The design day for the area of the install is -18C (0F), and the unit is supposed to have a COP over 1.8 at that temp.

This install is a small cottage, the existing heating source was electric baseboard heaters and this was a full retro with full new metal. HL calc came out at 36,000 BTU, and the 3 ton Mitsubishi unit puts out 40,000 BTU in heating. The heat pump should be able to carry 100% load without the electric backup heater ever firing.

All the bends were done with a tubing bender, there are 3 welds on the whole system.

I think you could have done better than the "all round". Other than the clamps missing I would say well done. Sounds like a real impressive unit.

Nice work!

I wish those were available here.

I don’t know if they have Rats in Canada we would have foamed the core in the block wall. Looks like nice work.

How's the system working? My original 25 yrs old Lennox furnace still chugging along (for now). Been considering this type of system with the hot water coil option in the Toronto, ON area. Will the hot water coil maintain house temperature if heat pump fails?

BTW. Nice install.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Working great actually, with a HUGE impact on the power bill so far.

I actually did spray foam the inside and siliconed the outside, no rats getting in there. I'm going back soon, I'll try to take more up-to-date photos of complete job.

The hot water coil can be sized to do a wide range of heat outputs, upto 60,000 BTU if I recall correctly (I'd have to double check literature to be sure). If you sized it with 3/4" piping and set the pump to high GPM flow, I'm sure the hot water coil could maintain temperature without any trouble.

I know I'm going to get it now.

Cool keep an eye on it

We installed one ps your job looks good, we were called back due to board clicking and not operating electric back up through outdoor sensor. My bro was on job and if you have probs post to me and he can help . We only noticed as it was -38 here a few weeks ago and we needed some electric backup. Looks like an awesome unit was considering for my new house.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

Signed up for training on these, but it got cancelled. Not enough interest.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

so whats the difference between a Zuba and a "regular' Mr Slim Mini-split?
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

They married the Mitsubishi Mr Slim Condenser to a North American ECM air handler with an Evap coil. The system is designed so it can be retro'd into existing sheet metal systems.

Quote Originally Posted by dc-v tech View Post
    They married the Mitsubishi Mr Slim Condenser to a North American ECM air handler with an Evap coil. The system is designed so it can be retro'd into existing sheet metal systems.
    oooh I like that. whats the total amp draw WITHOUT the electric heat
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

28A needing a 30A breaker for Condensing unit, and 2.7A needing a 15A breaker for Air Handler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast