Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i show my car off in car shows, and i see gauges all the time for oil pressure, volts, air/fuel, etc...

i got to thinking, i could hook up hvac gauges, and monitor my pressures from inside the cabin(the details are undecided as of yet) but i need to know, what are the risks of running my car's system with gauges attached at all times, will the seals go bad quickly, or anything else i should consider?

bad idea?

Cool! don't forget remote tstats so you can track superheat, subcool and temp drop across the coil.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Just hope the hoses dont pop when your on the highway, that might create a slight visibility problem

Buddy, you got WAAAAAYYYYY too much time on your hands!!!

Way too much time, but I do like the way you think!

Personally I'd go with some sort of digital gauge that has them remote sensors, so you don't have to worry about loosing any gas, or seals going bad. Plus if you get the fancy ones they'll do super heat and sub cooling at the same time.

Don't forget a thermomitor on each side of the coil so you can check temp rise/drop.

This has possibilities. I could see a really cool custom rod called something like "SuperHeat". Totally insulated, ventilated and thoroughly gauged. Call Monster Garage, maybe they'll step in and fund it for the show...
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

i am kind of glad this is getting a somewhat positive response. "too much time..." no. i have been modifying my cars since i have been driving, and i have NEVER seen anyone at a car show be able to monitor their hvac system.

the idea is different, therefore i like it, and am seriously considering doing it. for those who can point me in the right direction, could i have more info on these remote sensors?

It's doable for sure. I'd go with panel mounted stainless gauges like on a chiller and hard pipe it.

Originally posted by mattm
    It's doable for sure. I'd go with panel mounted stainless gauges like on a chiller and hard pipe it.

Now your talkin! Whaddaya show?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Originally posted by R12rules
    Buddy, you got WAAAAAYYYYY too much time on your hands!!!
    And coming from THIS individual, it's a serious amount of freetime overage.

Some of those aircraft grade al fittings anodized R134 colorcode with ss braid covered hoses coming off a chromed out compressor, sweet.
    The gauges and a/c/heat/defrost control could be housed on a single panel for a unified look. Maybe do a built in refrigerated cupholder for your Coke. I hear truckers have a similar setup to heat stuff coming off the engine coolant system.
    If its a steel compressor, paint it orange, like Trane's!

Another thought, a CO detector in the passenger compartment to warn of danger. ie, sitting for long periods w/engine running for heat, like they do sometimes when stranded in blizzard, then die of CO poisoning.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Going one more step with billygoats idea. I always thought it would be doable to have a refrigerated compartment in you vehicle that ran off the air conditioning system.

The evaporator would be in brine filled plates that lined the cooler compartment. This would keep things cool for a long while, even when the car was shut off. In the winter time you could have a little heater coil in there to keep your stuff warm. And another guage on the dash to tell the temp inside the box. I LIKE it.

i'll work on the coke cooler later.lmao.

i talked with a few people today, and found a few adapters that i could use to make the manifold sit flush into whatever pod i make for them. i also hear that stainless hoses will be the way to go.

i found some remote thermometers i can use for my temp drop, and i believe i will be using Marsh gauges (all metal with a glass lens) they come in a stainless silver finish.

also, as goat said, if i DO end up doing this, i will be hooking up a leak detector inside the cabin, wouldnt want to have a coolass setup and not be able to see it because of oxygen deprivation!

for those of you wishing to help me further, or see any progress that is made once i decide exactly how to do this, post here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast