+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Testo 550 Reliability?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    So you are saying that Lockhart would not replace the sensors that broke while under warranty? Strange as you would be the only one that I have heard that happening to. I am not saying he did not just saying you would be the first.
    I had an issue with them when I first got the set, he dealt with it quickly and I even posted about the quick response to my email.

Later when they broke I spoke to him in a thread or possibly an email, (I can't remember) I got the impression that I was just supposed to buy another set of sensors so that is what I did.

I guess I could have *****ed about it but I just decided to order the spring clamp sensors.

I like the digicools but not sure if they are better than the 550's, I like both of them, but so far think the 550's are a better value.

time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I liked the story of how he didn't return phone calls and I thought it ended up being that the guy didn't have a voicemail LOL
    Must be someone esle, I don't think he ever tried calling me, I have VM on my cell phone as well as at the office.

Post Likes
    Oops That read bad
    "He" was Lockhart and the "guy" was someone else.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I just got my spring clamp sensors, True tech sure is fast about shipping their stuff, they look pretty well made, I am just concerned about the wire being small on them, but we will see.

Last time I ordered from True Tech and Digi Cool, the shipping was extremely fast, I was really surprised especially with how fast the digi cool 1250 got here, I am in florida and they came from Canada and had to go through customs.

Post Likes
    I think even the testo guys would not tell you the 550 is better then the 1250. I dont work for either company so of course I am talking out my ass here. But isnt the 550 "supposed" to be in the same class as the ak900 where the 1250 is like the 523.

Post Likes
    well it seems the karma from this thread got me! my testo 550s took a dump for no reason the other day. I should have kept my thoughts to myself! :P

I used the 550s regularly and today i used them on three stops and on the 4th home it started to malfunction. It basically would not read pressure and temps were off the charts, i tried removing battery's, hitting p=0,temp probes from side to side and turning the unit off and on several times and messing with changing probes from side to side . Probes are ok, all this did was make the pressures come back and the temp on the suction side but the high side never came back and the temp probes both work in
    the suction side.. Seems like an internal board or part issue?.

Testo is going to check them out but i can tell you they didnt get wet and were not dropped, ever so they just went on the fritz..

sigh

worse is i didnt have the 1250s with me and had to use some old analog gauges and my FP sc76 temp probe to finish a charging job that i would have needed some accuracy but got it close and moved on!

IMO they dont make good tools anymore they all have issues.. its the warranty support that separates one from the other. Doug at digi and Testo but have great support so im glad i have both now as when ones down i have the other..

That picture of mark's scares me a bit those 550s seem way off compared to the digi-cools! arghh!

Update from another thread Testo is making me pay to send the 550s back to check them out and see if its a warrnaty issue, cant see how its not, it isnt working and its under warranty, im a little irritated i have to pay to send them in and not get a refund or credit. seems a little sketchy that i have to pay for a warranty in a years worth of use.

oh well ill use my 1250s for while but if i have issues again with the testos they will be sold and ill get some ak900s because after two hooks, two clamps, and now a software issue, the testos may not be reliable enough to use full time!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassajara View Post
    I think even the testo guys would not tell you the 550 is better then the 1250.
    Yea Right !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tassajara View Post
    I dont work for either company so of course I am talking out my ass here. But isnt the 550 "supposed" to be in the same class as the ak900 where the 1250 is like the 523.
    Not sure bout that either but the 550 has replaced the 523

Post Likes
    Well I did say I was talking out my ass lol.

From what I have read about the 550 it seems testo went from ok to sub par. We have a few sets of the 523 and 2 of the 560 or was it 556 I ll have to look. I only use my 1250's and did get a chnace to use the 900 last year and they were real nice. I still prefer the 1250 the display numbers are bigger or crisper or something. having to toggle between sh and sc reading doesnt bother me.

I will say the testo 523 does have a nice display, and I didnt have any trouble with the screen going black as some guys said they did.

Post Likes

Testo Issues

I got a 550 as a congrats present to an apprentice who graduated at the top of his class this spring. Ordered the kit with 2 sensors.
    1st it took forever to get. I don't think he got it till July, but I have to ck records to be sure.
    Then the clamp on sensor broke 1-1/2 months ago. Still haven't got the replacement from UR.
    Then the hook broke not long in service. They sent another. Then it broke again last week.

I have a lot of Testo equipment. Absolutely hate the manuals. Leave a lot to be desired.
    The 308 smoke tester is the most temperamental tool to use. Going to put the manual pump in the kit, (327-1).
    The 605-H2 pocket T-Meter/Wet Bulb stick is a useful tool, when it works. Battery door is cheesy, have to constantly screw with it to get the display on. Bought a few of them at once but had to return every one at one time or another. Looking for a better version next time around. Last one the batteries that came with it were dead.
    But the 550 showed a lot of promise but just not all it's cracked up to be. Was going to get another at 1st but now rethinking that idea.

Forgot to mention, $35 for a pack of 10 particle filters for the 327, WTF? Thanks Testo.
    Last edited by Stamas; 01-18-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Post Likes
    The 550 did go through some bumps in the road at its introduction, but all of it has been worked out. The hook is now stronger, the temperature probe material stronger and the ground strap added for static protection. It is a solid tool.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Since when?
    I Just got it in this summer? Evolution since then? It had to be one of the latest seeing as we had to wait so long. (I will dig up the invoice date tomorrow (7/19/10 UR)). And wouldn't the replacement be the new(er) improved version at least? Rock solid is a pretty strong statement.
    This tech is exceptional, I need to keep him growing-this tool was one way I thought to do it, in large part from friend's in here input.
    Testo needs to know, I've been in their corner, it's time for them to get into mine. (Just got home, delayed a bit trying to get the smoke tester to work, there's another rock solid tool).
    Last edited by Stamas; 01-19-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Date.

Post Likes
    Jiim,
    Are these "Bumps in the road" the devlopemental curve you described to me when i expressed my empathy for the problems you described to me were par for new product release?

I believe you started the answering post with "Clover sometimes you kill me". And then explained why the product was not really having any quality issue and most returns seemed un justsified. I paraphrased to keep it short but that is the gist.
    Please feel free to correct any part that I have mis-quoted or taken out of context.

Post Likes
    The number of problems versus the number of units in the field was and still is insignificant at the product introduction and now. However, the goal for any manufacture is zero problems period. Were changes made to improve the product along the way? Sure. Any reputable manufacturer will do that.

What I said was when people do have problems, they look online to see if anyone else has had the same. They find a place to commiserate. What looks like a lot is a tiny segment of the people that own the instrument. Most have experienced no problems at all.

The 550 is a solid product. If any filed failed do to a manufacturer defect/quality issue, testo has repaired or replaced them.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    All I can say is you represent your company well.

But like my folks used to say where there is smoke there is fire.

Post Likes
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Samas, I have the exact same story!

Had an apprentice that was top of his class and went on to the apprentice competition!
    Got him some 550s!
    had more problems than you can shake a stick at!
    While I was returning them there was another guy in there returning his! He was just returning them because the hook!
    anyhow!
    Jim, you have lost some serious credibility here on htalk with this statement; " The number of problems versus the number of units in the field was and still is insignificant at the product introduction and now. "
    We are smarter than that and we have friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    I got a 550 as a congrats present to an apprentice who graduated at the top of his class this spring. Ordered the kit with 2 sensors.
    1st it took forever to get. I don't think he got it till July, but I have to ck records to be sure.
    Then the clamp on sensor broke 1-1/2 months ago. Still haven't got the replacement from UR.
    Then the hook broke not long in service. They sent another. Then it broke again last week.

I have a lot of Testo equipment. Absolutely hate the manuals. Leave a lot to be desired.
    The 308 smoke tester is the most temperamental tool to use. Going to put the manual pump in the kit, (327-1).
    The 605-H2 pocket T-Meter/Wet Bulb stick is a useful tool, when it works. Battery door is cheesy, have to constantly screw with it to get the display on. Bought a few of them at once but had to return every one at one time or another. Looking for a better version next time around. Last one the batteries that came with it were dead.
    But the 550 showed a lot of promise but just not all it's cracked up to be. Was going to get another at 1st but now rethinking that idea.

Forgot to mention, $35 for a pack of 10 particle filters for the 327, WTF? Thanks Testo.
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    did they say anything about blowing smoke up your arse??

hi Clover!
    hope you are feeling okay!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    All I can say is you represent your company well.

But like my folks used to say where there is smoke there is fire.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    did they say anything about blowing smoke up your arse??

hi Clover!
    hope you are feeling okay!

Frank
    HA! I am laughing my my ass off! With all those exclamation points you use I have this picture of you bouncing around the office madly dashing off posts.

Post Likes
    Clover,
    the exclamation marks do actually give you a visual representation of my real life personality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As do the never ending question marks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am dyslexic, partially autistic and suffer from adhd and severe OCD!!!!!!!!!!
    that may explain even this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!? !?!?!?!??!!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!
    ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!!??!?!?!?!!?! ??!??!!?!?!?!?!??!!??!!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!? !??!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! ?!?
    !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ??!?
    !?!!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!!??!?!?!?!!?!??!??!!?!?!?!? !??!!??!!?!?!?!??!!?!?!?!??!?!!?!?!?!??!??!?!!??!? !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ?!?!?!

but I know you are down right now!

I will email or PM you my phone#
    If you want? call me tomorrow!

Frank

Post Likes
    Until they get the stuff right I wish they give us a better idea of what we are buying and change the name on the tool from Testo to Supco.
    Blowing smoke is one thing but that yellow substance coming down don't look or smell like rain.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post

I had 2 of those humidity/thermometer stick had nothing but problems with that stupid battery cap as well. I agree i thought it was going to be the best thing ever but like all the testo stuff i own its junk. I admit i have a very small sample of testo equipment 8 sets of 523 2 560 and 2 and 605-H2 and only 2 sets of 523's are still being used Maybe I am just unlucky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in