+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Testo 550 Reliability?

Post Likes
    I used to squeak my way by with 22 but with all these new units I had to order one. Ask me to install a steam boiler any day over an AC call.

Post Likes
    I have had no problems with mine either. If you want to spend 3 times as much you sure can do it. Personally I don't think it's necessary.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    We bought 3 Testo 550's back in Sept and love them. I took the supplied grounding clamp and put a ring terminal on one end and slid it between the rubber housing and the manifold. A drop of super glue on the rubber side with a wire tie around the middle nipple and it stays put. I use the clamp whenever I am running refrigerant through the hoses as the manual dictates. I would like to find a stainless braided charging hose that would solve the grounding issue without having the extra wire but haven't had any luck so far in finding one.

So far the Testo has made service calls a lot quicker and we have had no problems with them..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydfree View Post
    We bought 3 Testo 550's back in Sept and love them. I took the supplied grounding clamp and put a ring terminal on one end and slid it between the rubber housing and the manifold. A drop of super glue on the rubber side with a wire tie around the middle nipple and it stays put. I use the clamp whenever I am running refrigerant through the hoses as the manual dictates. I would like to find a stainless braided charging hose that would solve the grounding issue without having the extra wire but haven't had any luck so far in finding one.

So far the Testo has made service calls a lot quicker and we have had no problems with them..
    YJ has braided aviation grade evacuation hoses. Ones i saw were kinda short but check with them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    Hi, have to chime in. I have read about the problems with the testo 550. Now I have experienced the problem. Here is the glitch:

The unit is susceptible to static discharge damage. Basically the leads will short something out in the electronics so that it will not show temperatures.

Mine lasted 2 months. The manufacturer is not reengineering the unit, as I have read about this in the past. As of late July 2010, I bought mine.

Everything about the unit looks solid. It just has some defects that make it not work too good unless you wrap it in electonic protective wrap and ground it to the unit you are working on. That's what buying a tool is all about, right? (making things easier??)

I just bought one and it comes with a grounding wire and a warning that it needs to be used because of the blended refrigerants like 410a and them being charged in the liquid state.

I like it so far and in some ways like it better than my Digicool 1250 and it is a much better value, I had to replace the sensors already on my digicool and they were $125, yet they come with the Test 550.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    Buy the Digicools.
    Why?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    Why?
    I will stand either of my digicools up against your Testo 550 in a durability contest.

Let's start with freezing and thawing them 10 times. (very common for a refer guy like myself that lives in snowy climate)

If the Testos are still working, we can start with drop testing.....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I will stand either of my digicools up against your Testo 550 in a durability contest.

Let's start with freezing and thawing them 10 times. (very common for a refer guy like myself that lives in snowy climate)

If the Testos are still working, we can start with drop testing.....
    I have a set of 1250's and a set of 550's, like them both, guess I can freeze and thaw them both, what does that prove?

I have never frozen any of my tools in the past so not sure why that is a good test, we don't see much snow in Florida, last time I saw any it was 1977.

To me the 550's are a much better deal, by the time I bought a manifold,hoses and spring clamps for the 1250, I could have bought a set of 550's and they came with a nice case.

Post Likes
    I'm sure the 550s are a very nice toy.

I played with them in a supply house, but I know the conditions I work under.

The 550 would simply NOT survive doing the job that I do day to day.

It's nice that you do comfy AC work in sunny Florida.

Not everybody does AC work nor does everybody live in sunny Florida.

Here in western PA, we see temperature extremes of -20F to 100F in the summer. On summer days, my DRSA goes from inside a freezer to on a roof.

From what I've read about the 550, internal condensation is a BIG problem. Seems to me that temperature swings like that are a very likely cause.

Want to ask again what freezing and thawing will prove?
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-08-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

Post Likes
    I'm sure the 550s are a very nice toy.

I played with them in a supply house, but I know the conditions I work under.

The 550 would simply NOT survive doing the job that I do day to day.

Here in western PA, we see temperature extremes of -20F to 100F in the summer. On summer days, my DRSA goes from inside a freezer to on a roof.

From what I've read about the 550, internal condensation is a BIG problem. Seems to me that temperature swings like that are a very likely cause.

Want to ask again what freezing and thawing will prove?
    Since you never used one you have no clue how it will work.

Post Likes
    You dont see these threads popping up about the digicools...

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO SAY? I love my digi's.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    whatever.

bwalley is always right.

Post Likes
    whatever.

bwalley is always right.
    I am not the one flapping my jaw and badmouthing a product I have never used.

Post Likes
    A product that I would not purchase because it does not meet my needs.

Why should I waste my money buying a tool that won't last?

Post Likes
    A product that I would not purchase because it does not meet my needs.

Why should I waste my money buying a tool that won't last?
    You have no idea it won't last.

I think it will last longer than my digi cool 1250 temp sensors and if it doesn't it has a 2 year warranty.

my digi cool temp sensors broke while under 'warranty' I was told to get the spring clamps for $125, so that is what I did.

and I don't even use them very much because I am predominately a GC although I am a licensed mechanical contractor too.

Post Likes
    In the absence of first hand experience, one relies on the next best thing.

Equipment reviews.

So I did the research.

I bought what I think was the best value for my dollar.

I did have some sensor problems and Doug replaced it straight up with no hassle.

I'm glad you're happy with your Testo 550. I simply don't believe that it is the right instrument for me. I will also not recommend it to anyone based on the fairly large number of problems that I have seen reported on them.

Post Likes
    In the absence of first hand experience, one relies on the next best thing.

Equipment reviews.

So I did the research.

I bought what I think was the best value for my dollar.

I did have some sensor problems and Doug replaced it straight up with no hassle.

I'm glad you're happy with your Testo 550. I simply don't believe that it is the right instrument for me. I will also not recommend it to anyone based on the fairly large number of problems that I have seen reported on them.

I am glad he replaced yours, he is the one who told me to buy teh spring clamp sensors, I thought my sensors would have been replaced since they were under 'warranty'.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I am glad he replaced yours, he is the one who told me to buy teh spring clamp sensors, I thought my sensors would have been replaced since they were under 'warranty'.

So you are saying that Lockhart would not replace the sensors that broke while under warranty? Strange as you would be the only one that I have heard that happening to. I am not saying he did not just saying you would be the first.

Post Likes

I thought the screen goes dead in the sun quicker than others since its a black heat sink with a magnifying glass display.
    Who knows though JP
    I've only used one but didn't buy it.
    I would buy one if it was a "rock solid instrument"
    I was actually planing on it until I got to use one.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    So you are saying that Lockhart would not replace the sensors that broke while under warranty? Strange as you would be the only one that I have heard that happening to. I am not saying he did not just saying you would be the first.
    I liked the story of how he didn't return phone calls and I thought it ended up being that the guy didn't have a voicemail LOL
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in