Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 177
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,947
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    Why?
    I will stand either of my digicools up against your Testo 550 in a durability contest.

    Let's start with freezing and thawing them 10 times. (very common for a refer guy like myself that lives in snowy climate)

    If the Testos are still working, we can start with drop testing.....

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I will stand either of my digicools up against your Testo 550 in a durability contest.

    Let's start with freezing and thawing them 10 times. (very common for a refer guy like myself that lives in snowy climate)

    If the Testos are still working, we can start with drop testing.....
    I have a set of 1250's and a set of 550's, like them both, guess I can freeze and thaw them both, what does that prove?

    I have never frozen any of my tools in the past so not sure why that is a good test, we don't see much snow in Florida, last time I saw any it was 1977.

    To me the 550's are a much better deal, by the time I bought a manifold,hoses and spring clamps for the 1250, I could have bought a set of 550's and they came with a nice case.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,947
    I'm sure the 550s are a very nice toy.

    I played with them in a supply house, but I know the conditions I work under.

    The 550 would simply NOT survive doing the job that I do day to day.

    It's nice that you do comfy AC work in sunny Florida.

    Not everybody does AC work nor does everybody live in sunny Florida.

    Here in western PA, we see temperature extremes of -20F to 100F in the summer. On summer days, my DRSA goes from inside a freezer to on a roof.

    From what I've read about the 550, internal condensation is a BIG problem. Seems to me that temperature swings like that are a very likely cause.


    Want to ask again what freezing and thawing will prove?
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-08-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'm sure the 550s are a very nice toy.

    I played with them in a supply house, but I know the conditions I work under.

    The 550 would simply NOT survive doing the job that I do day to day.

    It's nice that you do comfy AC work in sunny Florida.

    Not everybody does AC work nor does everybody live in sunny Florida.

    Here in western PA, we see temperature extremes of -20F to 100F in the summer. On summer days, my DRSA goes from inside a freezer to on a roof.

    From what I've read about the 550, internal condensation is a BIG problem. Seems to me that temperature swings like that are a very likely cause.


    Want to ask again what freezing and thawing will prove?
    Since you never used one you have no clue how it will work.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,942
    You dont see these threads popping up about the digicools...

    WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO SAY? I love my digi's.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,947

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    whatever.

    bwalley is always right.
    I am not the one flapping my jaw and badmouthing a product I have never used.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,947
    A product that I would not purchase because it does not meet my needs.

    Why should I waste my money buying a tool that won't last?

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    A product that I would not purchase because it does not meet my needs.

    Why should I waste my money buying a tool that won't last?
    You have no idea it won't last.

    I think it will last longer than my digi cool 1250 temp sensors and if it doesn't it has a 2 year warranty.

    my digi cool temp sensors broke while under 'warranty' I was told to get the spring clamps for $125, so that is what I did.

    and I don't even use them very much because I am predominately a GC although I am a licensed mechanical contractor too.

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,947
    In the absence of first hand experience, one relies on the next best thing.

    Equipment reviews.

    So I did the research.

    I bought what I think was the best value for my dollar.

    I did have some sensor problems and Doug replaced it straight up with no hassle.


    I'm glad you're happy with your Testo 550. I simply don't believe that it is the right instrument for me. I will also not recommend it to anyone based on the fairly large number of problems that I have seen reported on them.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    2,198
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    In the absence of first hand experience, one relies on the next best thing.

    Equipment reviews.

    So I did the research.

    I bought what I think was the best value for my dollar.

    I did have some sensor problems and Doug replaced it straight up with no hassle.


    I'm glad you're happy with your Testo 550. I simply don't believe that it is the right instrument for me. I will also not recommend it to anyone based on the fairly large number of problems that I have seen reported on them.

    I am glad he replaced yours, he is the one who told me to buy teh spring clamp sensors, I thought my sensors would have been replaced since they were under 'warranty'.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    I am glad he replaced yours, he is the one who told me to buy teh spring clamp sensors, I thought my sensors would have been replaced since they were under 'warranty'.

    So you are saying that Lockhart would not replace the sensors that broke while under warranty? Strange as you would be the only one that I have heard that happening to. I am not saying he did not just saying you would be the first.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,137
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    It's nice that you do comfy AC work in sunny Florida.

    Not everybody does AC work nor does everybody live in sunny Florida.
    I thought the screen goes dead in the sun quicker than others since its a black heat sink with a magnifying glass display.
    Who knows though JP
    I've only used one but didn't buy it.
    I would buy one if it was a "rock solid instrument"
    I was actually planing on it until I got to use one.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event