Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'm sure the 550s are a very nice toy.

I played with them in a supply house, but I know the conditions I work under.

The 550 would simply NOT survive doing the job that I do day to day.

It's nice that you do comfy AC work in sunny Florida.

Not everybody does AC work nor does everybody live in sunny Florida.

Here in western PA, we see temperature extremes of -20F to 100F in the summer. On summer days, my DRSA goes from inside a freezer to on a roof.

From what I've read about the 550, internal condensation is a BIG problem. Seems to me that temperature swings like that are a very likely cause.

Want to ask again what freezing and thawing will prove?
    -20 in Western PA.???? Humm I think he ment CA for CANADA...

Quote Originally Posted by WFL-TX View Post
    -20 in Western PA.???? Humm I think he ment CA for CANADA...
    I said what I meant and meant what I said.

While -20 isn't an every year event, it is common enough to be considered in design factors.

-10 is much more common. I expect that annually.

I couldn't let this go without telling my experience with the 550.

I got one when they first came out last spring. So mine should have been one with all sorts of problems, right.

Well its been perfect, never had a problem of any kind. And yes I've had it in subzero freezers and back up on the hot roof. The thing has had a layer of frost on it which melted and then back in the freezer to check evap SH. No problems.

Never had a ground strap and have used it to charge a lot of systems, no issues with static.

I've had it out in the rain a few times and like I said no issues at all. It doesn't live in a case, just hangs in back of the truck.

I actually prefer it over my DC 1250 due to the way the screen is laid out, and the fact that SH and SC and pressures are all on the screen at once. Also its more compact than the 1250. Haven't dropped it off a roof yet, so maybe not a true test right? LOL

With all that being said, I too read of problems here that guys were having and due to that have been using my 1250 in the more extreme conditions. Just a little worried about water damage on the 550. The Digicools definitely have a better reputation for the guys that use and/or abuse their tools more, so thats what I would get for some of our other techs.

Will be interesting to see the ak900 model.

Had my since spring, first batch from trutech. Only problems i have had is that one of the temp clamps stopped working and last week the low side valve leaks by. Other than that its been good.

digicool may not look as nice but hold up much better than testo 550 on the 550 I HAD plastic cracked around were my hoses hook up and its a shame to cause i liked how the screen was laid out easy to see everythig going on in the system

Hmm

Mine slipped out of tool bag and fell 4 feet on a tile floor and it cracked it's skull (display).

Anyone have a display for sale?
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

First the temp display was losr (static discharge?) Then I got a drop of water in it and it is completely toast. Piece of junk. Never again will I buy any Testo product.

testo 550

i bought mine around may of last year. the only problem I had was one of the pipe clamp probes quit working. the testo rep replaced them with a new set in about 4 to 5 days. havent had a problem since. I retired my old gages after I got the 550's. I found alot of over charged systems with them last summer. with both probes you can see sh and sc, delta T, line temps., evap temp, condensing temp. you can do a timed pressure test, and can use the guages for I believe like 32 or 38 refrigerants. some very well spent money.

After display cracking from a very short fall (see post above) bought a new set and within a few days while checking AC the temps on the display went to dashes. I pulled batteries out to reset and got temp displays back but then the temps would not switch to SH/SC or T1/T2 temp modes. Had to return to Johnstone for replacement. This is my 3rd set.

If anyone would like to part with a 550 display please contact me. Testo won't sell me the part, which is easily removable and I'm afraid that if I do what they want me to do and send it in for repair that the repair is going to cost more than the unit is worth.

What a waste.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Quote Originally Posted by bb View Post
    After display cracking from a very short fall (see post above) bought a new set and within a few days while checking AC the temps on the display went to dashes. I pulled batteries out to reset and got temp displays back but then the temps would not switch to SH/SC or T1/T2 temp modes. Had to return to Johnstone for replacement. This is my 3rd set.

If anyone would like to part with a 550 display please contact me. Testo won't sell me the part, which is easily removable and I'm afraid that if I do what they want me to do and send it in for repair that the repair is going to cost more than the unit is worth.

What a waste.
    That is dumb if they won't sell parts like this.
    If it is easy why not get material locally and fix it.
    You could even get some plexy or polycarbonate and make it better.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

got mine with the group buy on here from trutech some time ago a year or more no problems at all
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Thumbs up

Same here no problems at all. Every time i bring them out I am waiting for a failure but I have had none.

Quote Originally Posted by papa_jo View Post
    got mine with the group buy on here from trutech some time ago a year or more no problems at all
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    That is dumb if they won't sell parts like this.
    If it is easy why not get material locally and fix it.
    You could even get some plexy or polycarbonate and make it better.

Not dumb from their poin of view.

As the only source of parts or repairs, they kind of have a captive market.

Makes sense when you are making money with both hands.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast