Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools

Im going tool shopping pretty soon and wondering what brand of tools is the best? any suggestions??

Thats a pretty open ended question.

My opinion is every mfgr. has 1 product that they hang their hat on. Bosch is a jig saw. Porter Cable is a router. Delta is a table saw. Etc. Same as in HVAC. You'll need to name the tools, or it's tough to answer you.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Absolutely.

I wouldn't buy all the same brand.
    Every tool manufacturer has strong points.
    Klein, if you are buying linesman's pliers.
    I like Klein screwdrivers, too.
    Channel Lock, for adjustable pliers.
    Diamond Tool & Horseshoe Company used to make a "wide opening" adjustable wrench that I carry instead of the Crescent brand.
    Vise Grip pliers are better than the imitations.
    I like my Fieldpiece meter, but can't complain about Fluke.
    Malco for most sheet metal tools.

I make sure I can tell my nutdrivers and screwdrivers apart at a glance. If they have the same handle, you will be constantly picking up a Phillips when you wanted a 5/16.
    Especially after they get a little worn.

I don't buy any tool at department stores, if I can get it from the same supply houses I plan to do business with.
    It establishes rapport with the sales staff.

Re: Thats a pretty open ended question.

Originally posted by spotts
    My opinion is every mfgr. has 1 product that they hang their hat on. Bosch is a jig saw. Porter Cable is a router. Delta is a table saw. Etc. Same as in HVAC. You'll need to name the tools, or it's tough to answer you.
    I mean basic tools like screwdrivers, nut drivers,pliers,wrenches.

almost everything is ok ...just stay out of harborfreight!!

screwdrivers and nut drivers = klein
    linemen,dykes = klein or channellocks
    pilers = channellock craftsman
    adjustable wrenches + almost anything
    wrenches = craftsman sk
    vise grips = vise grips

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Buy your needlenose plyers from Klein too.

they have teeth on the end like an alligator. Really amazing grip for the tip of plyers. As far as a combo screwdriver go to Wal-marts and pick up an Allway [Orange and Black] fiberglass handled 6000v screwdriver. Really a quality unit for about $3.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

For pliers I use the curved jaw type , can't remember the name of them, maybe gator pliers. They will grip hard pipe a lot better than regular adjustables. Or you could use a pipe wrench !

I've been cutting nails and motor bolts with my kliens for 5 years and they yet to have dulled any at all.

Screwdrivers: Craftsmen because you can take them back for free replacement.

Channel lock is about the only American made tool which I would have no use for. Their adjustable pliers are about worthless.

I can only say this because others make tools whci far surpass theirs that .... it's a crying shame whenever I hear someone owns a Channel lock anything!

Knippex makes pliers that Channel lock cannot compare to in any way, shape or form.

Klein makes the heavy needle nose with Channel lock cannot compete with. Klein also makes the best side cutters, linemans pliers and some very exceptional nut drivers/ screw drivers.

Unless an adjustable wrench is of the wide opening jaw design, I dont touch it. Period.
    Visit Sears and see all the wide opening wrenches made, all in one place.

If you choose to purchase a Knipex brand of adjustable pliers, make sure you buy the models with the push button for the adjustments.

But stay away from their 10" pliers model. It does not open very wide, as I belive it should.

On this particluar tool, you may wish to consider a Sweedish brand of adjustable pliers sold thru United Refrigeration supply.
    Check out their 10" adjustable pliers. They rock! And they lock! And they open wider than the mouth on a Drunken Irishman whose just stepped in flaming dog doo!!!

And in case you want to know what we all carry in our tools bags ... just do a search of this site on the topic; "what do you all carry in your tool bags?"

That thread was started by yours truly.
    In the end of the thread, I compiled all the tools folks mentioned so everyone could compare notes, so to speak.

For adjustable wrenches, check out the Diamond brand at your favorite supply houses. I really don't know if its still out there, haven't needed to replace it. Opens wider than comparable sized wrenches, handles the suction line disconnects and such.
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

My adjustable pliers come from Napa Auto Parts.

I think they call them "Slip Joint Pliers". Ridgid uses the same casting for theirs and chromes them. Same tool for more moneys. I agree, ChannelLocks are useless. Oh yea, and if you buy a pipe wrench, buy only a Ridgid. Theres some cheap ass pipe wrenches out there.

[Edited by spotts on 12-09-2004 at 09:45 AM]
    Walter Matthau

PLEASE STOP BASHING CHANNELLOCKS

I personaly own a crap load of channellock pilers and have beaten them into the ground and they still are in really good shape. I also do electrical work and when I have to go hot on some situations I trust my channellocks dykes or 10 adjustable and so far so good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast