Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer router

Talking

do any of you know how to hook up a computer router,i bought a computer for grandkids,and only have one high speed access,also do i need a pc card for this?thanks in advance.
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

What kind of connection do you have now? (DSL/Cable?)

Either way is basically the same though.

Plug the cable from the back of the modem into the router, and then run 2 cables from your router to your computers.

You'll have to get into the setup files in the router (speaking for Linksys anyway, but I think many are the same). Usually it's a http://###.###.##.# for example). Plug in your user name and password you recieved from your ISP into the correct fields and you'll be set.

Now that I've said that... with the router I have now, I never had to do any of that, not sure why either. Just pluged it all in and the net worked... I didn't figure I needed to make things any more complicated than it has to be.

If in doubt, read the directions, and if you're still in doubt, post again and we'll hook you up.

*Edit* each computer will need a network card (ethernet adapters, which ever you prefer to call them).

Geek Help

Len - If you are still having troubles post a reply here and I'll get you my email address.

If you are only connecting two or three computers to the router it should be a fairly quick setup.

If you could post the router type I'll find the manual online and read up on it.

If your using Windows XP, most likely all you will have to do is plug everything in and it will work, thats all I had to do with mine. wont need to add anything to the computer unless it does not have an ethernet port, if not they are relatively cheap and easy to install, provided you have an open PCI slot

computer router

thanks guys,im going from my puter which is windows me to windows xp,according to some reading ive done,as long as it windows 95 or later there should be no problem,spyman send that email,if boss will allow,or i can send you mine thanks dude,its a wonderful time of the year.

How many compters do you want to hook up? You don't need a router use a switch or a hub much cheaper.

Originally posted by johnl45
    ...You don't need a router use a switch or a hub much cheaper.
    A router provides some firewall protection, without much extra cost.

Some hubs & switches won't uplink to a cable modem.
    I found that out the hard way.

There's an excellent free firewall for home use at http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htmI've had no problems linking to my cable modem.

There's an excellent free firewall for home use at http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htmI've had no problems linking to my cable modem.
    Thanks John. I will try it.

I suspect my problem is that all modems/hubs/switches/routers are not created equal.

My hub is an antique 16 port 3com.

I have an 8 port switch slaved off a 4 port LinkSysrouter, and can slave the hub, as if that's not enough ports.
    (I have 5 computers networked, and play with others as a hobby.)
    Any of them work for the kid's LAN & Xbox parties, but only the router will "talk" to the modem for WAN. I don't remember make/model of the modem (whatever the cable company wanted to sell).

I WOULD like to get rid of some of the hardware and run off just the 8 port switch.

Your post has renewed my interest. I'll re-look.
    Thanks again.

(Maybe I'm on the wrong forum...)

I'm using a 3com dual speed 16 port switch and Motorola SB5100 cable modem.

Originally posted by bwal2
    Thanks John. I will try it.

I suspect my problem is that all modems/hubs/switches/routers are not created equal.

My hub is an antique 16 port 3com.

I have an 8 port switch slaved off a 4 port LinkSysrouter, and can slave the hub, as if that's not enough ports.
    (I have 5 computers networked, and play with others as a hobby.)
    Any of them work for the kid's LAN & Xbox parties, but only the router will "talk" to the modem for WAN. I don't remember make/model of the modem (whatever the cable company wanted to sell).

I WOULD like to get rid of some of the hardware and run off just the 8 port switch.

Your post has renewed my interest. I'll re-look.
    Thanks again.

(Maybe I'm on the wrong forum...)
    bwal if you want a good hardware firewall and have a spare computer laying around(old 486 will do) check out this. It is a very versatile dedicated firewall program based on Linux. You could dump your router for this as it supports ppp, dial-up, and pppoe connections and has a dhcp and nat server.
    http://smoothwall.org/
    http://awphuch2000.dyndns.org:1079/s...range-blue.jpg

[Edited by bb on 12-08-2004 at 05:09 PM]

Frown computer router

could somebody please post a pic of the hook up,im gonna throw it out the window,

The wire that once was plugged into the computer must plug into the "uplink" port on your router.

If it doesn't have an uplink port, use the port with the highest number as an uplink.

Then a new wire from each computer will then plug into the router, in any order.

Make sure you didn't get a crossover cable by mistake.

Is your router wireless? If it is, each additional computer will have to have a wireless card.

Give us some brand names & model numbers.

[Edited by bwal2 on 12-08-2004 at 07:09 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast