+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all you ex-alcoholics.........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    Hey all you ex-hard drinkers out there.....
    I stopped drinkin' and started caring more about my life after my youngest son was born. Now I can't drink at all [I used to drink pretty serious] without getting screwed up! I'd guess alot of yunz saw it in Pitts. Couple of drinks and I was gettin loaded. Keeps gettin worse. Now I can barely drink at all. I also used to take Celebrex for my back and somebody here mentioned it damaging your liver. Maybe it's that too. I don't know but I used to be able to drink more than I can now at 16! I think my body is telling me it's time to cut it out completely but is this normal???????? I also quit cigaretts a few months ago and drinkin and smokin went hand. I just don't know but it's sure imbarasing to be all Jacked up around people after just a drink or 2.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Getting sloshed after a couple is what your body naturally does to you after not having had any in a while.

It's kind of like a shrunken stomach after not eating as much.

I probably have around a case of beer a year and a few bottles of wine. I can get real loopy after a chimay beer or about 4 regular beers depending on how fast I drink them.

Post Likes

Can't be that fast can it?

Me and a buddy could sit down and put a serious dent in a ½ gal. of Canadian Hunter. Now 2 drinks and I can't remember? I'm thinkin I killed all the extra brain cells and now I'm down to the ones I need.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Well actually talking about brain cells it is the slower weaker ones that get killed off first. So actually what alcohol does is it kills these weak unfit brain cells leaving you with only your fit most efficient brain cells. In other words, alcohol actually fine tunes your mind. At least I think so but your mileage may vary and this coming from someone who has 4 dui's.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes

Talking

Spotts, you must be drunk. All these posts in such a short span of time.

Post Likes

Naw, I'm stuck

waiting for a stupid phone call. Like I said..... I really don't even drink. Even when I want to. Just don't work anymore. Or are you just being a smartass 'cause we thought some other guy was loaded??

[Edited by spotts on 12-06-2004 at 04:44 PM]
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    I think its cause we're getting older. You don't see too many elderly people at keg parties.
    When I was 20 or so I could drink 3 sixpacks of beer in 6 hours. Out door parties with all that fresh air keeps you awake and you can drink beer like it was water.
    If I tried that now at 40, I'd have to be carried out of there. Or left behind for the mosquitoes.

Post Likes
    Not to mention that the hangovers hurt more than they used to!

Post Likes
    I have'nt been able to drink alcohol in 1 1/2 years now due to the meds I'm taking. Every winter we have a big venison feed/card party at our camp. I enjoyed myself more the last time than any time I was there drinking. The added bonus for this is that my friends are safer now due to me being the designated driver for life. Also its nice to wake up on a saturday or sunday morning and not have that hangover any more. It gives me more time to enjoy my family.

Post Likes
    I'm not an alcoholic, nor an ex-alcoholic, but I do enjoy a beer or two now and then. There is a good movie out called Bill W. It's the story of Bill Wilson, who was one of the founders of the Alcoholics Anonymous. James Woods and James Garner star in it. There is a wonderful dissertation in it by James Woods as he tries to explain to his wife the plight of the alcoholic.

Post Likes
    Celebrex and alcohol aren’t a good mix. There is a natural progression in alcoholics it's called blackouts.

Post Likes
    I was a heavy drinker as a teen and in to my twentys till I just about killed an elderly couple in an auto accident I don't even remember, quite for 8 years than it slowly got worse and I was drinking JD like it was soda pop. got up one morning and looked in the mirror and I looked 10 years older and thought about all the time and money I've been wasting and now I've been sober for 2 years now and plan on keeping it that way.

My advice stay sober you and your family will be much happier.

Post Likes
    After years of drinking, your liver looses its ability to process alchohol. Your tolerance decreases. My dad is working on serious liver damage now, and I can't tell the difference between his second beer or tenth beer of the day.
    That is probably not your case. Ask your doctor, especialy with the Celebrex.

I was pretty wasted at the convention, too. I was the first one at the picnic, and I was left alone with the keg. Robo's tequilla finished me off.
    Jason

Post Likes

I bet I just finally reached that point.

Not drinkin' feels good too, and It's a bitch not to want a smoke if I mix a drink. I am alot happier guy all around now and a better "Dad"
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

maybe an x-alcoholic? 8-x

I don't drink as much as I used to because of my liver, it is damaged from all the partys overseas. I might drinkl a couple of glasses of Jack Daniels in a month or so. But that is nothing to what I drank in Germany, when I was married to a german girl,lived in a off-post German house and played 4ADD Soccer with the germans.After every game it was a party for the winner/ or loser from Texas. They just wanted to get me drunk and ask me about Texas ,cattle ,oilwells and money of which I didnot have any of the three listed. Drinking now keeps me from going off on somebody where it used to make me want to go off on somebody. Funny after you get older how things seem to go in reverse.....

I am not an alcoholic but I might have been at one time around 1971-1978....
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes

Spotts

Glad to hear bout the clean livin. You know I don't drink anymore. Just need to put the cigs down now. Hope everyones well there and Buss. is good. Didn't notice you were pie eyed at the convention though. Did notice some others.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Post Likes

jan ist

20th anniversy for myself and wife. never been to a meeting, gust lucky, i guess

ALCOHOL A THOUSAND LAUGHS a million tears be well

Post Likes
    I thought Jack was OK at the convention. There was one point at Bar Louies down by the river there where someone, I think it was Jade, said Jack has to eat soon, so we called up the limo and headed to Primantis. Other than that, I didn't notice.......but....I wasn't in any condition to notice either.........
    One thing though, when ya have a little kids, drinkin ain't fun, too much responsibility and work if ya wanna raise em right. Maybe an occasional night out but on a regular basis, not worth it.
    When my kids were young I didn't drink except at parties and stuff, no stopping after work at the bar. Came home and helped the wife who needed a break by then, often made a pot of coffee after work, and spent quality time with the kiddos. In the end it pays off.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

rubobornot Guest
    I had an alergic reaction to alchol when I was young, it made me stupid and spend all my money . Never looked back

Post Likes

Thanx guys.....

Dice is right, save it for an occasional night out. just 1 beer after work and all I did was sit on the couch or sneak out to the garage for more. I'm reminding myself of that old song..... Dont drink dont smoke What do ya do?
    Walter Matthau

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in