Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The shop next door to our shop is Wassick Tire. It makes it handy for us to get our snow tires for the fleet.

Any way Don Wassick and I always laugh about his busiest day is the first snow fall and ours is the first day it breaks 80°F. No body plans ahead.

Yuma to answer your question. Driving in the snow is kind of like getting your sea legs. After awhile everyone gets used to it and does everything at half speed. Like accelerating, braking and steering.

When you drive by someone in the ditch this is the conversation in your vehicle.

First Snow Storm--- "Ooops" (You might even stop to help them out if they have VT license plates)

Second Snow Storm--- "Some people never learn"

Third Snow Storm--- "What an A$$ hole!"

[Edited by benncool on 12-06-2004 at 09:19 AM]

Living in Colorado

I buy new tires every winter for all my trucks. Main trick is if you slide a little.... stay the hell off the brakes! You touch the brakes, you loose steering and go right in the ditch.

It is funny when we get a real big storm, 90% of the cars in the ditch are 4WD's. They really feel bulletproof in the white stuff.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

markwolf has it right, recreational snow driving!

You learn to snow drive when your young (and stupid) and all your buddies are in the car and if you scrape up enough money you decide how much for beer and how much for gas.
    Go out and beat the **** outta the car and if your not too
    looney you won't end up in a snow bank!

You find out that you don't really drive a car in the snow as much as you just kinda point it in the general direction you want to end up in and let the car drive you.

Oh yeah, like someone else said, don't stop, go slowly through stop signs and intersections and never slow down on a hill!

Thanks for your replys,
    I'll try to remimber them the next time I,m back in the mountains with snow. (In the next decade )
    It was a sight, going along at 70 mph in the rain and then seeing CHP lights up ahead then all of a sudden it's WHITE all over the ground... A lot of pick-ups with no weight in the back spinning around, It scared the wife mostly but it did raise my blood pressure a few notches, I did not want to be envloved with them.
    Any ways I do have a small front wheel drive car with new tires (for the high freeway temps, not snow)and I did slow down to 15 mph (had a few pass me, saw then later on the sides).
    I'll leave you Sonw Bunnyes to drive in it! I woun't go to San Diego any more this winter if rains in the forcast.
    Yes I'm a wimp. But I'll remimber this whole thing next Summer when it's 120°f on the way to the coast.

Thanks again, Yuma
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

P.S.
    Don't forget the bridges!
    Anyone ever drive in cold climates knows what
    "Bridges Before Roads" means.

I pride myself on being an exelent driver in the snow ! The ice is what sucks !! I love right after a big snow going out and finding an unplowed empty parking lot and doing donuts !!

Originally posted by refrtech
    I pride myself on being an exelent driver in the snow ! The ice is what sucks !! I love right after a big snow going out and finding an unplowed empty parking lot and doing donuts !!
    You're grounded,mister!

(That's what I told my son when the town cop let me know that he yelled at my son for doing donuts in the rescue squads parking lot.)

Born and raised in Northern Wisconsin. It ain't snowed until there's 12-16 inches. That's when it's fun!
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

I worked as a pizza delivery driver in Houghton (that's up by lake superior, not the middle finger of the mitten) Michigan while I was going to school.

You make FRICKIN AWESOME tips when it snows.

Practice is the best weapon. I'd go out on the hardpack snow on the two lane roads in the sticks around school, put the truck in two wheel drive, and slide from snowbank to snowbank for hours at a time, just for the fun of it.

But you learn how to make stuff work while you do it.

Front drivers are OK for getting moving, but you have to remember NEVER LIFT OFF THE GAS when you start to go into a skid with one.

The scenario is -

Slush on the shoulder starts to pull the car toward the ditch. Driver panics, starts to steer, and lifts off the gas.

Lifting off the gas applies engine braking to the front wheels - ONLY. Since you are already slightly skidding, it creates an off center "braking" condition.

You do a perfect 180 degree spin before you even knew what hit you. Since that puts some rotating momentum into the car, your quarter panel will bite the snowbank or whatever is there, and send you in a straight line for either the median or the ditch that you first got sucked towards.

When you start to go, give it just enough additional throttle to pull you back toward the lane you want to stay in.

Around here, when it gets slushy and sloppy, it's all front drivers in the ditch - back end first.

Ice puts all the four wheel drives and SUV's in - usually upside down.

Learn threshold acceleration and braking. Locked tires from braking lose control AND don't add to stopping. Spinning tires trying to move only polishes the intersection for the next poor bastard.

Use JUST ENOUGH throttle or brake to have some effect. As soon as they spin or lock, you are no longer helping your cause.

Avoid the other crazy bastarge.

If it's greasy out, I leave the Jetta in the garage, and take the chevy truck.

Unless it's EXTRAORDINARILY deep, the Jetta goes through anything that the truck (4x4) will go through - with better control and heated seats.

HOWEVER - any redneck with a bucket of bondo can screw a chevy truck back together. The Jetta takes some special finesse. It still ain't right from a little fender bender this summer.

So....Drive the most expendable vehicle - esspecially when nobody knows what they're doing.

You got it right on the 4x4s, mostly what's in the ditch when it snows. I stopped and pulled one out the ditch last year with my two wheel drive Nissan pu.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

move out of the road grooves, thats where it ices first.
    keep moving and leave lots of room ahead of you

The wife lovess it when I go sliding around a corner, she has gotten used to it,

ALWAYS remember when new snow tires are put on the truck it doesnt slide the same

Here in Michigan

for some reason people forget how to drive in the snow we got 5-6 inches the day before thatnkgiving. there were so many accidents and semi's that couldn't make it uphills. I got a 2wd Chevy S10 it loves the snow it has a manual trans to its easy to slide and to donnuts. I once held it sideways for the lenght of 3 houses before my driveway and turned into my drive way (still sideways) and Mom said i was driving like a idiot Dad was Pleased at my skills.
    Hire Me....

Benny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12