How do You Guys Drive in SNOW?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    924
    Just got back home from San Diego, California and in the mountains on the why it was snowing!!!! (4000 feet level)
    Now, I know for most of you guys (and Girls)Snow is a everyday item; but for a guy that has for the last 25 years been down in the desert thats different.
    In a two mile stretch I saw at least 10 cars stuck, rolled over and banged up.
    And to boot most people still drive 80 mph in the rain.
    We do not know what that white and clear stuff coming out of the sky is!
    I really feel for you folks. I'm thankful that I was out of the mountains 45 minutes after the snow. Driving 15-20 mph stinks...
    I hope your winter driving is not that eventful.
    I'll take the 100°+ temps ANYDAY!

    A Zonie desert rat,
    Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,909
    I wouldn't at all profess to be an expert in this topic but I know that here in Dallas we usually get roads covered with ice. It's best to stay home because no one here can drive on it. Snow is more friendly but we have the advantage of a relatively flat landscape.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,927
    Get a car with front wheel drive,and go about half speed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    1,018
    When I was a rookie truck driver many years back I once asked an old timer the same question. His reply was, “ no faster than you want to be going when you slide into the ditch”.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    7,414
    Driving in the snow? Ah thats no problem, it's that working in the snow that gets tricky!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Ya just hafta steer a little bit more often to get around those who have ditched and those who are going so slow they are not going to make it up the next hill.

    The thing that most people screw up with in snow is to not keep going. It's a lot more difficult to get started and stop then to just drive in it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    manitowoc wisconsin
    Posts
    4,943
    I love to drive in the snow.One of the funniest things I think I ever saw was people driving in the snow when I was in oklahoma & it snowed.It was only a few inches & guys were going down the road 5mph with chains on thier tires & the whole bit!I was going to mess hall & a fella from orange texas said"where are you going?!""You cannot drive in the snow!!"I told him to come to mess hall with me & after I would have a treat for him.I found a large empty parking lot off base & did a whole bunch of doughnuts & some power slides etc.I thought he was going to ****!.....He was mad at me the next day.He went out later on with his brand new lincols & wrecked it into a pole!I lauged so hard I cried!Itold him."You big goof I grew up in ohio in the upper part of snowbelt country driving in the snow & learning how to make controlled slides etc.takes practice!"I still am known to indulge in a bit of recreational snow driving when the wife & kids are not with me.Now black ice is another story-You can keep that!
    Take your time & do it right!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    5,304
    Just make sure you got good tires.

    Easy on the gas when you start moving.

    when you are going to stop, ease off the gas, and slowly hit the breaks.. If you got ABS break, they work well! Just know how they work! I knew the first time I drove my Explorer w/ ABS, i thought the breaks went out when the ABS kicked in!


    I don't mind driving in the snow.. Just as long you take it easy, you'll be fine!

    When I was a kid, I wanted a 4 x 4 truck, mom said No! They will get you into a deeper mess!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    St.Charles Mo.
    Posts
    27

    snow driving

    I live in Mo. and last winter was realy icey and snowy,but i still took my 350 hp rear wheel drive street performer tire having mustang out in it just about everyday,it was very stupid but you just have to be causious,now i have a back up car to drive this year.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    13,215
    Originally posted by Yuma
    Just got back home from San Diego, California and in the mountains on the why it was snowing!!!! (4000 feet level)
    Now, I know for most of you guys (and Girls)Snow is a everyday item; but for a guy that has for the last 25 years been down in the desert thats different.
    In a two mile stretch I saw at least 10 cars stuck, rolled over and banged up.
    And to boot most people still drive 80 mph in the rain.
    We do not know what that white and clear stuff coming out of the sky is!
    I really feel for you folks. I'm thankful that I was out of the mountains 45 minutes after the snow. Driving 15-20 mph stinks...
    I hope your winter driving is not that eventful.
    I'll take the 100°+ temps ANYDAY!

    A Zonie desert rat,
    Yuma,
    Fast, veering around accidents from people that thought they could drive in it. That's how I drive in snow........

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ft Worth Tx ( North Richland Hills)
    Posts
    2,143
    I got plenty of practice living in Wyoming for 20 years. Watching people trying to drive in it on the 1 or 2 days of slick roads here in Ft.Worth is hilarious. The idiots with
    4 wheel drive who don't seem to know that just because they can get started easier than 2 wd doesn't mean they can stop easier. What isn't funny is the 3 hour drive home when it ususlly takes 1/2 hour.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    7,977

    Re: snow driving

    Originally posted by rice killer 302
    I live in Mo. and last winter was realy icey and snowy,but i still took my 350 hp rear wheel drive street performer tire having mustang out in it just about everyday,it was very stupid but you just have to be causious,now i have a back up car to drive this year.
    Several years back my daily driver was broke down so I drove the Nova. Having a posi in the snow I was pulling hills and passing even front wheel drive cars.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    2,216
    Originally posted by bb
    I wouldn't at all profess to be an expert in this topic but I know that here in Dallas we usually get roads covered with ice. It's best to stay home because no one here can drive on it. Snow is more friendly but we have the advantage of a relatively flat landscape.

    Boy you got that right. What stinks though is you got ppl who think they can run 80+ on it and run you out of their way. We are very fortunate it is flat here because if it wasn't we would be in hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event