Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    the hardest thing i had to grasp,(besides being ganged up on about condoning mixing when needed)is going behind someone and just in total awe with some of the **** "mechanics" do.

Single phase compressor wiring, real compressors don't need capacitors, current and potential relays or any crap like that. Give me 3 phase any day, preferably across the line start, keep it simple.
    If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, when will you have the time to do it over?

Heat loads

I have a hell of a time load calcing stuff.

Trying to figure out if I ad one more case to an existing comp , will it handle it ok?

What size comp with what gas will run whatever ok? and so on.

DAMN I'M STUPID...I HATE MYSELF. WHAT A LOSER I AM!!

Thank goodness for engineers!!!!

Really old heat pumps that don't have schematics intact. And the famous Lennox gcs20 with 6 ice cube relays telling eachother it's ok to work. Just make sure if you are changing one of those realys that you DO NOT pull any wires loose accidently from any other relays. And now that I have made the transition to refer man I have a hard time remembering what refrigerants are med/low/oil/etc. Other than that I have been pretty fortunate in grasping stuff.
    I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart.

not taking short cuts. At two in the morning on a sunday changing a pot and not replacing the filters cause want to get home. Then, telling the FNGs whenever they change a comp to replace filters. I guess Ive learned my lessons anyways.lol

I read somewhere they said the highest failure rate on testing is in motors and schematics.

This little survey shows that is true with us also.

And Dave... I am now clean shaven also.
    And I keep my mouth shut, whenever necessary.

For me

It was understanding the flow of electrons at 186,000 miles per second through solids.

Finally, an instructor said to me,"Just accept it hypothetically, and when you figure out how it really works, come back and tell US".

I still haven't got a better answer, and it's been 30 years since that class.

Until then, everything that I understood was from taking things apart and seeing them. Electronics was baffling to me. I had to learn how to learn in a different way.

Noel

press1 is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address
    Hardest thing to grasp:

1) Customers don't care how good of a mechanic you are if they don't like you.

2) Almost getting fired after two years of no call backs because I wouldn't "socialize" with the customers.

3) Understanding people...machines are predictable.

My wife says that I would be a millionaire if I could work with people the same way I work with machines.

Thanks R12 for your interesting posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12