Thread: $99 install?

Picked up a scratch and dent range hood/microwave combo at Slowes the other day and put the vent in today. The store display state you can get it installed for $xx.xx. What do you get for that I wonder?

They don't carry offsets in the store so they'd take a loss or do some creative duct in this case since the stove is on an inside wall, with obstructions going up into attic and outdoors.

Can't see it, but the hole in wall where wire comes through was patched before the unit installed to stop air infiltration

The hole in ceiling was also patched/sealed before the insulation reinstalled.

Discharge through wall so would not have to attach roof cap to standing seam tin roof

I've put 3-4 hours into the install including the wiring. Heavy duty duct for this case compared to the usual stuff at the box store, took not quite an hour using the plasma machine at work to fabricate.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

They would have stuffed a ball of fiberglass in whatever vent duct was existing, and made it non-venting.

There's usually some weasle words about normal instalation only.

Nobody has a normal instalation.

Eric K

i'm going to be putting one of those in my kitchen shortly. how about i pay you $99 to do mine ?
    i wanted to put a picture here

good looking pieces of duct,..what are those white stickers??safety labels or something?

Originally posted by mo-flo
    what are those white stickers??safety labels or something?
    Machine spits them out so you don't try to bend the right metal into the wrong shape... :-)

Also good reference when the super says they want warranty on that POS you installed last year... "sorry pal, those aren't my stickers, some other hack installed that POS 7 years ago!"

The software that the plasma table uses to cut out the duct/fittings also makes these lables. Slap em on the part and you know how to bend it up and which parts match up. Personally I hate the stickers, but the are needed most of the time.

Never seen "pooky" that color either, the stuff we use is grey. Fancy lookin install though!

*edit* dang I type slow some days!

i forgot he's got the fancy sheetmetal tools...

The pooky was still wet so it looks much lighter- it'll be grey when it dries.
    Funny thing, the duct probably is worth almost as much as I paid for the appliance, but it'll last the life of the house.
    2 weeks ago we did a job T+M for a homeowner to install one of those pop up island fans. We redid the proffessionally insatlled duct with new and even had to make a horizontal inline damper because the outlet was ground level outside. Sealed the duct and hole in floor, reconnected wiring and stove top, they very happy with work since old job had air from crawl blowing up into cabinent
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated