Have you had customers take advantage of you in an unfair or dishonest way? What was the worst episode?

Seattle Pioneer

No one is willing to admit they've been cheated?

Seattle Pioneer

Read the rules. You aren’t supposed to bump your post back to the top if nobody wants to reply to it.

Angry

That's the way it is in business. You win alot more than you lose. My score is about for every 100 jobs, lose one to a impossible customer. My worst customer was my own mother in law. She paid me for an a/c repair, then called another company to check what I had done was right. I gave her money back.....and told her not to call me for repairs or advice anymore.

Nothing to do with HVAC but I used to work for an international hazardous waste company in Abilene, TX. Worked pretty hard for them for about 7 years and was offered a facility managership in Houston area. Met with bosses there along with one other interviewee (is that a word?) on the premise one of us would get the job. Truth was they had 2 openings, the second in Memphis, TN. It was perfect. My kids lived in Houston at the time and the other guy was from TN. They told us after the interviews that the second job was open and said they were impressed with us and that we could plan on making the move in the next 4 to 6 weeks and final details would follow in 3 weeks. They even told us what we'd be making. They never did that unless the job had officially been offered. Supposedly the jobs were ours to accept or refuse. We both accepted.

Well, 3 weeks passed. Then 4. I called the district supervisor to ask him what's the scoop. He said, " Oh. Nobody told you? We gave the Houston facility to another guy." The "other guy" had never even been interviewed! Man, that ticked me off! I had already been closing out accounts in Abilene.

Along about the same time, there was another new position with lots more pay at the facility in Abilene and they did offer me that job when it opened. I took it, all the time knowing I was done with that company. As far as I was concerned, they lacked integrity. About a year later, I was offered a job in the town I'd wanted to live in since I was able to remember. I gave my 2 weeks, left, and never looked back. They did have the gumption to send me an exit interview. You might say I burned those bridges...first and only time to ever did that.

No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Belong to the BBB

Been Boned Before club.
    One of the worst was a cust. whose paid extra to have O/D unit installed FEMA'd. Didn't tell wife. She was pissed. He had us take it out and reinstalled on our standard ground pad, (gravel base, pad, gravel and treated wood border), then didn't want to pay for platform work. We had to bust out two layers of concrete to set platform and the come back and jack the platform, rebar and concrete anchors back out!
    We said we wouldn't do the other system for him.
    The SOB had someone else, (Sears), do the it. Guess he wasn't to happy with them because he refer'd us to the neighbors the next year.

One of my service techs installed a zone valve for a customer last month.

He called two days later said he found it cheaper on the internet and wanted me to refund the difference.

He stopped payment on the check.......I am gonna see his butt in small claims in a few weeks.

I hope his pipes freeze this winter.