+ Reply to Thread

Thread: continued education course

Post Likes

Question

I amtrying to put toghter some courses for cec credits toward license for contactors any thoughts on subjects?

Post Likes
    Anything but mold

Post Likes
    There are endless possibilities, here are a few ideas

Carbon Monoxide
    Combustion Analysis
    Variable Frequency Drives
    How economizers work and how to service them
    Preventing Compressor Failures
    Indoor Air Quality
    Duct Sizing
    Refrigerant Line Sizing
    R-410A class
    NATE Exam Prep Seminar
    VAV Systems, how they work & a review of types of VAV
    Load Calculations Seminar
    Heat Pump Seminar
    Troubleshooting Gas Heating Systems
    Three Phase Motor Starting Systems & Troubleshooting
    Airflow In Ducts, A review of the fundamentals and how to measure flow properly.

The list could easily go on and on.

Post Likes
    How about a pm course on split units

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ga/oh-man
    How about a pm course on split units
    Now there is a great idea.

Some outfits give the guys a punch list to go perform. You simply go over each critical point on the list.

Over a period of time in servicing breakdowns, you will learn where the trouble points of a given piece of equipment are located.

When you learn what has failed in the past, you can inspect the equipment in the present to prevent some of the failures in the future.

Would you like a generic PM list?

Post Likes
    Please give me any materials that you may think would be helpful. I was a service Tech 9 years before My new position at educator, I need all the help I can Get

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ga/oh-man
    Please give me any materials that you may think would be helpful. I was a service Tech 9 years before My new position at educator, I need all the help I can Get

Do you know how to put a class together correctly? Here is a brief outline of how it is done right.

1. Determine what needs to be taught. Pick the topic. (Needs Analysis)

2. Establish a clearly written goal.

3. Write a short list of objectives that when accomplished will meet the goal.

4. Using the objectives, develop a detailed course outline.

5. Now look for resource materials that match the outline.

6. Prepare student handout materials that correspond to the outline.

7. Prepare your visuals and instructional presentation materials such as PowerPoint slides, overhead foils and demonstration materials.

There you have a basic outline on how to put together a class. If it is a long class you will need to develop homework assignments and test instruments as well. This is just my truncated outline for instructional development. This will work for a seminar lasting a few hours to as much as two days. I put in a great deal of planning and development in each seminar or college class I teach. You can figure on spending at least 10 hours of prep time for every hour of class time for the first time you teach a class. After that your prep time will decrease each time you teach the same class or seminar again.

It takes a great deal of work to do it right and not many people do. Ever been to a totally boring seminar? Either the instructor has not put in the prep time, has no idea as to how to prepare or is just a poor instructor and should not be teaching in the first place.

Time spent in prep pays off in dividends. It is not easy, it is work just like any other quality job is work.

Norm

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in