Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Some might remember my question regarding my co-worker high on the job... Found here: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=63152

Here is how it turned out...

I'm senior guy in our shop, one day boss asks my opinion of the guy, I say he is a good worker, seems to know his stuff, sometimes has a touch of attitude and lacks follow through sometimes. And, if you guys ever pi$$ test him he's in trouble. "Likes to drink?" I said no, other stuff. "Tokes it up?" Yes, I said and I'd hate to see someone get hurt or killed because of him. Boss said there was little we could do, blah blah, on his own time etc. When I said "he should just do it at home then, it doesn't belong in his van or at work" The boss dropped it by saying alot of guys in the trades do it...

I know the boss is straight so I don't understand his acceptance and at least it is off my shoulders now but what do you guys think of him just passing it off like this?

Hey, I started the 10,000th thread! Do I get a prize or anything? :-)

Ive worked at companies where literally everyone there was a pothead, including the boss and his wife, we used to joke that you had to fail a drug test to work there, a lot of people who you wouldnt think do it actually do, that might explain him blowing it off.

The guy is a good worker, I seen many guys straight as an arrow so dangerous and stupid you didn't want to be near them. I think it is soooooooo dumb to drink or get high at work, many guys have a few drinks at lunch, some guys can handle stuff, some can't, If the boss is OK with it, and probably needs good help right now, let it go. Just tell the guy not to do it around you is all, you could both get in trouble if something happens.
    Sometimes I feel like telling all the businessmen having their 3 martini lunchs, how dumb they are......
    But I don't.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by control_noob
    Yeah, an oz of some good hydroponic........
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

What are you High? There are no stinking prizes!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

a date with a goat

Isn't your boss worried about the legal ramifications if the guy would wreck his work van and kill someone or miswire/mispipe something and cause a catastrophe?

Thumbs down

Sorry, at my shop , If you get caught you are out the door, we work at places that require a piss test, and we had to let a guy go cause he could not pass it............ twice in a row!!!!!! A few years back at a different shop I had a helper that was a drunk! BIG TIME you could smell it on him and every day!! I had many customer complaints cause they could smell him also. I had to go to the boss and he kinda shrugged it off, But I am sorry......... If one of my customers comes to me with a problem like that somebody is out the door. I love to drink a beer, the wife says way too many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but... I WILL NOT GO ON A CALL if I have had a few. I do not have a problem with dope heads either, just do it on your own time and show up for work straight as an arrow. Sorry about the rant, Lonnie

Just make it clear you don't want to work with him. If he's got a problem with it I'de start looking for another employer.

As you guys know I have been around for a long time.

It is unbelieveable about how much we used to drink when I was doing the trade and I was your age back in the late 60's and mid 70's. We had shop parties where we would get crocked out of our minds and take the company vehicles home.
    RSES meetings would go to 2 o'clock in the morning. Those old WW II vets would be running a job. If we were ahead on the job we would brake for lunch at a local sandwhich and beer joint. Then one beer would lead to another and we never would go back to work. Since I was the apprentice I was sent back to pick up the tools. I remember one time they had put the windows in the store front while we were in the ginmill. I can back to pick up the tools. I was half bagged myself. Since I was used to walking through the opening I didn't notice the new glass. Geez how the other trades laughed when I hit the window.

We were subbing for a mechanical contractor on a big project. They had a frigid in the job trailer stocked full of beer. Lunch time in the job trailer was fun. Back to work at 1 or 1:30. Oh man I can't even imagine being like that today.

I've worked with lots of guys who did. Seems like the ones who smoked the most were the least affected by it. It didn't seem to hurt their work too much for whatever reason, i.e. weak dope, built up an immunity, or just one of those people who it doesn't do much to.

There ain't no way I could smoke that stuff and get anything done, though. I eat all day as it is

You guys got this all wrong, Let him get high- let him smoke as much as he wants- then give him a good steep pitched roof to work on - theres a good chance he will fall off and then he can think about smoking that s--t.

if your employeers workmans comp carrier ever gets wind of it , your boss will re think his policy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast