Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The building end of it anyway. I have had a run of residential new stuff. One of the houses I am on I got ruffed in last week and moved to another one. Large custom home.

The Interior Designer has poured herself into every aspect of this home during the building. But she is doing it after it has been built by the prints and the GC has worked with me and the other trades on placement of key things. They moved the island in the kitchen over the weekend and now they want the light centered over it. This home has a large living room with nothing between that and the kitchen. When we ruffed it in which was a ***** anyway all the supply grills ran down one TGI beam in both the living room and the kitchen. Now back to the kitchen. They moved the Island and stated they want the supply grills there lined up with the light in the kitchen. Well that means moving them over one TGI. So I was there this morning and after we moved the them it was obvious when I walked across the room and looked back that they were not lined up anymore and this looked a hell of a lot worse they not being centered on the light. I know right off the bat what is going to happen. Then are going to get to the top of the stairs when they come back and see these boots 6- 6x12 not in a line and want it changed back. To bad because all of the first moves will mean that we are cutting the flex off. I am not doing the first move for free nor will I do the second but even getting paid for it means I am getting behind on a job that is making more money. This woman is acting like we are putting up wall paper and it is likewise as easy to change. It's just like the husband and wife thing going on with moving the furniture around during the building process. New construction HVAC sucks!

Commercial can be just as bad or worse.I did 8 luxury apartments converted from an old historic motel.Between the builder & unskilled laborers changing plans/damaging completed work there was over $35,000 in add's to the contract.I thought that job would never end!
    Take your time & do it right!

The guy that owns this house is a friend and has handed his nuts over to the decorator.

He comes in also like this stuff is no big deal doing it.

Dont you just love it when the G.C. tells you that we have to do everything to keep the owner happy. I just tell them that I just bid it the way we normally run it and if you had anything special that makes it so our ductwork cant run how I showed them it was going to be when I bid it .....its no problem to change but it will be at a cost. Only new builders balk at it being ,ones we have worked with for years know its going to cost. If I run into ones that try sticking us on changes we just dont give them bids anymore. I would rather they go out and screw the competion. I had to laugh at one I bid for the first time a long time ago. He came to me with a print and wanted a bid, I pretty much keep a copy of floor plans just to make sure its what I bid if its someone new. When I went out to do the job it was a total differant house, I told him this is not what I bid and he told me that it was. I pulled out my copy of the print and showed him I know better.He just started telling how people always change from what they started with on a print and the subs just have to do what the changes are to keep them happy. Ya right ,I told him you pay to keep them happy you made the changes....and no it doesnt work that way.

[Edited by dec on 12-02-2004 at 12:55 AM]

Whadda ya mean you're just STARTING to hate this biz?

Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

We started a new thing because of the situations that James has described. We put a spiral bound note book, "Job Log", in every job folder. When you get into the job meeting you pull out the little note book and start writing down the changes. When you start sending charges for changes you have it all documented.

It is funny that you mentioned wallpaper. I said that to an architect one time as we argued over room. "You know they make heating and cooling wallpaper. All you have to do is put it on the wall and you have your heating and air conditioning." (smartass that I am)

He said, "REALLY !!??!!"

Then I had to explain to him that I was only kidding.

Originally posted by Diceman
    Whadda ya mean you're just STARTING to hate this biz?

I thought he already did, TOO.

the only way to stop all the changes "at a whim" is to start charging for them. they willrun out of money sooner or later. just because he's your friend doesn't make you his HVAC *****.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

The charging him is not the problem. A empty lot alone 2 lots down is selling for $325,000.00

The problem is pulling off of other jobs to go back. When you get set up to ruff in a house and stop and move you find yourself in the van all day and getting farther behind and peeing off another GC. Not to mention you are foregoing a dollar for a dime.

explain that to him..........
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quit *****ing and go to work......
    Or hit the lotto...
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Sounds like a pricey addendum bid coming along.

Originally posted by James 3528
    The charging him is not the problem. A empty lot alone 2 lots down is selling for $325,000.00

The problem is pulling off of other jobs to go back. When you get set up to ruff in a house and stop and move you find yourself in the van all day and getting farther behind and peeing off another GC. Not to mention you are foregoing a dollar for a dime.
    I feel your pain Bro. You just got to do the math and make the "dime" turn into a 'buck and a half'. Then the changes won't be so easy to make. "Oh? it is going to cost that much!!?? Oh well maybe we should rethink this."

What in the frick do you think your GC customer is doing. You may not want to charge him because he is your buddy. But I bet he is socking it to his client. "Oh those damn sub contractors."

[Edited by benncool on 12-02-2004 at 09:46 PM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast