Did you know...
    The man that invented Freon also invented leaded gasoline?

Thomas Midgley, Jr. (May 18, 1889 - November 2, 1944), was a American mechanical engineer turned chemist. He developed both the tetra-ethyl lead additive to gasoline and chloro-fluorocarbons (CFCs). While lauded at the time for his discoveries today his legacy is seen as far more mixed. One historian remarked that Midgley "had more impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in earth history."

While working for General Motors he discovered that leaded-gasoline prevented internal combustion engines from "knocking". The difficulty is that this resulted in huge amounts of lead being added to the atmosphere causing health problems around the world. Workers producing the additive were even more greatly affected. In 1924 Midgley took a prolonged vacation from working to cure himself of lead poisoning — A fact he deliberately kept secret, holding a press conference to demonstrate the "safety" of contact with the substance

CFCs were introduced to make refrigerators safer by synthesizing chloro-fluorocarbon (CFC) compounds (also called "Freons") and substituting them for the variously poisonous or explosive substances previously used.

(He's still my hero.)

Originally posted by bwal2

CFCs were introduced to make refrigerators safer
    See, I knew they were safe!

If he'd have lived, he probably would have invented 410A, the unleaded freon.

yea but we were told today that 410 unleaded freon has been given an experation date already

"two great tastes that taste great together."

I have already said my good bye's to freon .... as we knew it. So I will simply sate ... "No Comment" .... here.

Originally posted by R12rules
    I have already said my good bye's to freon .... as we knew it. So I will simply sate ... "No Comment" .... here.
    Thanks for the post.
    I was beginning to wonder if ANYBODY reads these things.
    When first I posted, I thought I'd picked a slow news day.
    I see you have started several recent threads.
    Keep up the good work.

I miss the good old days, too.
    Life was simpler then.

I didnt know all that thanks for the ifo
    Kind of crazey though
    After all the laws you can still get all the r12 you want and all the lead to add to your gas you want

Hmm R-22, R-410A and Leaded gasoline

The person who was informed that there is an "expiration" or phase-out for R-410A (or "PURON") was misinformed. R-22 is definately going away. There is no legal basis or consideration by U.S. regulators to phase-out R-410A.

The comparison of leaded gasoline is interesting. Would you have bought a car that ran on leaded gasoline if someone told you that leaded gas was being phased out in 10 years?

If not, then why install an R-22 air conditioner? We know it's going away, and that the 2015 EPA reduction in R-22 production will significantly reduce supply. These systems are supposed to last 10-15 years.

Re: R-22, R-410A and Leaded gasoline

Originally posted by davidmetcalf
    The comparison of leaded gasoline is interesting. Would you have bought a car that ran on leaded gasoline if someone told you that leaded gas was being phased out in 10 years?
    Yes, I did, and probably would again.
    I bought 3/4 ton trucks when unleaded was first introduced.
    1/2 ton required leaded gas, at a HIGHER price.
    Leaving out the lead made gasoline cost more. (Go figure.)

I don't still have any of them.
    10 years is a long time to keep a car around.

[QUOTE
    If not, then why install an R-22 air conditioner? We know it's going away, and that the 2015 EPA reduction in R-22 production will significantly reduce supply. These systems are supposed to last 10-15 years.
    [/QUOTE]

Gasoline is designed to be used up.
    Refrigerant is a component, designed to stay in the system.
    If an air conditioner needed recharged once a week, then the comparison would be more valid.

The reason r-22 is still being installed is the very REAL and SIGNIFICANT increase in PRICE of R-410A equipment.

R-22 will take a back seat ONLY when it costs more.
    Sad but true...