Brick Wall Fireplace Questions

Brick Wall Fireplace Questions

My wife and I are in the middle of redoing a 1968 house that was basically all original, so I may have a lot of questions in the coming days. In the house, we have a lovely 1960s wall to wall brick fireplace at the end of the living room and I am curious if this is a possibility:

What I would like to do is put up a stud wall, possibly some insulation, make a new fireplace surround with mantle that is normal size and then drywall the rest of the wall.

Additionally, I would then hang a flatscreen above the fireplace / mantle.

I am curious if this is feasible, because in my estimation I will need to bring the fireplace opening out 2 to 4 inches depending on the stud wall. Would I lay new bricks to extend the opening? Is there another option?

Thank you.

(I want to do the stud wall so that I have something to hang the flat screen from, and also a convenient way to hide multimedia and electrical lines.)

It can be done, but you need to maintain clearances to combustibles around the brick and fireplace. You cannot simply wood stud right up to the opening and add a layer of bricks to extend the fireplace.

Do you plan on converting this fireplace into gas or a wood / pellet insert at all? Or will you keep it masonry?

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    It can be done, but you need to maintain clearances to combustibles around the brick and fireplace. You cannot simply wood stud right up to the opening and add a layer of bricks to extend the fireplace.

Do you plan on converting this fireplace into gas or a wood / pellet insert at all? Or will you keep it masonry?
    Yeah, I knew that I would have to work the studs/framing around the opening and use some sort of fireproof insulation in that area. I guess I was curious as to how to do this.

Is there any special way I would have to build this wall? What should the distance be for any wood framing to the fireplace opening? How much new brick /masonry /(any other options?) should surround the opening? How much new fireplace face should be left (how close can finished drywall be to the new finished opening)?

I think we just plan on keeping it a wood burning fireplace like it is now. Everything is in good shape and this room is on a slab so there is no easy solution in which to run a gas line from the basement.

No DIY advice on here allowed. You should consult your building inspector, a mason experienced in building masonry fireplaces, a hearth shop, or a chimney sweep. Or a combination because you will probably get different answers from all of them.