I've been doing residential for seven years now, and I'm becoming a little discouraged. I really would like to get into more commercial and/or with a bigger, well-known company. It seems though that either the big companies are hiring people fresh out of school and/or those with commercial experience (I have light commercial experience but have been told it's not enough). I would like to get into a union possibly, but so far have had no luck. Last summer's mild weather nearly wrecked my company, and I barely worked more than 10 hours a week. Like others, I cannot survive like that - I need a steady, full-time job.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I may go about getting one? Why are they so hard to find? I have friends at a few other residential companies and they don't work steady hours either unfortunately. I'm learning that it's hard to support a family in this profession. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh, and I live near Chicago, Illinois.

wilkb I was told there was a lot of work in chicago & the pay was good.Union sucks but big commercial shouldn't be tough to find in chicago.If you find a job you won't bug the hell out of them you must be in the right place at the right time or know someone.good luck

Try These:

http://smw73.org/Apprentice.htm

http://www.smw265.org/Training/training_home.htm

http://www.pf597.org/

Dont give up. It will be the best in the long run. Dont call. Go in person and keep trying

Union sucks

Not in the windy. Its a union town, especialy commercial construction

Thanks for the links, I will certainly not give up!

Do you guys have any ideas on how I might be able to work building maintenance, like hospitals, etc.? I never see them advertised, I wonder if they go through employment agencies???

Dont get discouraged. You will find something. I hated doing commercial all the time. You have to set your ladder up 20 times a day and lug all your crap up and down. By the time your ready to work, you just want to lay down and I am no weakling. Gets old real quick especially when its 90 degrees out.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Originally posted by wilkb

Do you guys have any ideas on how I might be able to work building maintenance, like hospitals, etc.? I never see them advertised, I wonder if they go through employment agencies???
    most building engineers are local 399.........
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Originally posted by wilkb

Local 399 Stationary Engineers work the hospitals and all the Downtown city buildings. No easy task, you need a stationary engineers license to get that gig. But you can start out at the bottom and work your way up as an apprentice...pretty boring if you ask me.

not enough steady work to be at a facility imo, but just keep at it, make some calls, tell them what you know, and in no time, people will be calling you asking when YOU can start.

the company i formerly worked for did mostly resitential work. i did most of the comercial work for them. i asked to be layed of so i could get mor comercial/industrial experiance. i was in your boat. i averaged 25 hours a week for 3 years.
    i made the jump. i worked the summer doing industrial work, but was layed off due to the work drying up. i was the low man so i let go. comercial industrial isnt much different unless you are talking centrif. and absorbers. the equipment works the same. it can be easy or hard. know my union is telling me probly no work till spring. thats a big shot in the arm for me and my family.
    i think the union is the way to go though. better pay and the bens.

Attend the next RSES meeting in your immediate area. If it looks slack, check out other meetings/ chapters also.

Contact chapter presidents and tell them your situation. Ask them for adivce.

Go online to HVAC Agent. post a resume.

Write a professional resume and learn some interview skills. Learn how to sell yourself. Your local community college offers resume help, interviewing skill seminars and personal presentation help for those looking for a job change.

A good HVAC technician should be able to go nearly anywhere and get a job. But, you must be able to present yourself well. That makes all the difference!