Do I ever say anything bad?
    You guys know I don't ***** about anything. 'Cept maybe the about the folks that run Carrier,---- a little.

Anyway, why can't manufacturers put a description of what is in a box when they send it out. You order a rooftop unit and you get 3 boxes of accessories that need to be feild installed. Not one box say what is in them. So the techs start opening the boxes to see what is in them and before you know it little dinky parts come up missing. Fine put the part number on the box but would it be so hard to also print, "low ambient control" or "conversion kit"

We got 2 boxes of duct tape in yesterday and in big black letters it said, "STICKY TAPE". Hmmmm........when you get a box from an equipment manufacturer, that has 27 little nuts, bolts, screws and labels, all it saids on the box is "3XT456-971-A" Of course, you are SUPPOSE to know if it is the wrong one, if it has a B on the end instead of the A.

[Edited by benncool on 12-01-2004 at 01:28 PM]

Talking Accessories

With Carrier these days, you are lucky to get the equipment when you need it, let alone those mysterious accessory boxes that show up 3 months after you have the units installed! You can't send em back either!

Benny, some bean counter somewhere decided that that additional cost of those words would be .005 cents per unit. So selling a thousand units a month would let them save five bucks. That’s sixty bucks a year. In a hundred years that’s real money.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Yeah, it'a all about cheap. What the Mfg's need to realize is that we would spend the little extra dough to get better quality and the right accessories.
    Our labor rate is worth more than the money they save on crap like that as well as warranty repairs. Even good Mfgs are now cutting corners.... Yo, listen up, we will pay $50 more per unit, no biggie, we can pass that on, quit cheapening up everything so bad, we are getting embarrassed to sell it to people, you don't have to face them.......we do.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Good thread

I have printed it and discussed this with our engineering quality control officer, and in the same conversation, illustrated the issue at our pressure testing bench for our vent system pressure switches.

I explained to him, at the bench, the procedure now in place for checking switches that are sent out as a spare part. I showed him the sticker that gets applied afterwards, with the part number, and the boiler model and size (if applicable) that it fits.

No pressure setting on the label anywhere. I asked him if he would like to buy from a wholesaler that recieved ten switches, and ten pilots, all mixed together in a box with no labels on them (like LP pilot/spark ignition/VHS 90 EP boiler)

Immediately, we went to the dept that prints rating plates and parts labels, and had the entire line of labels reprinted to include the pressure switch setting and the +/- range for the particular boiler that they fit. I'm waiting for them to be printed, now, so I can put each one in an envelope and throw out ALL of the old labels in the metal box at the test bench.

We're going to start fresh, today.

This post will likely make some changes on parts in the boxes being shipped out. We've talked about individual boxes or bags within the shipping box to enable labeling and not losing small components. Would anyone like to add suggestions while we're on the subject?

I only work for one manufacturer, but it's a start. I want to listen to and hear what irritates installers and service people. The no brainers are easy to change. I just want to get it right the first time, as they in the factory downstairs work better with us if I do.

Noel Murdough
    Slant/Fin Corp.

We need more Noel Murdoughs.

We got a call from a shipper yesterday. "We have shipment out for delivery for tomorrow. It weights 450 lbs."

"what is it?" " don't know." Who is it from?" "Carrier" "What is the PO #" "Ain't got one" "What does it say it is on the invoice?" "Air coolers".

I am hoping it is a Bryant rooftop unit that I am waiting for. But who knows? Wait and see.

All I know is that fragile is Italian for "throw me".
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

This is exactly the kind of thing that should be happening on this site. Noel I salute you.

Just don’t forget, Dice has to pay fifty dollars more.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Follow through

Here's the new plan.

I wrote an order with only pilots on it. Here's the filled order, as it would ship, and the packing list, which is in the clear pouch on the outside of the box.

The parts are identified with a label, and with marker on the bag itself.

Any suggestions on this change?

Noel