+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Service In Iraq

Post Likes
    <<Y'all will just have to put up with me until I either finally get started on my new position or have to get another job stateside. I really am looking forward to the experience of doing a part for our troops, but I am not in control of getting this thing going.

That's a very generous attitude.

I've actually considered whether anyone would be interested in hiring me for that kind of service. While I'm nearly 55, I walk nine miles/day and am in pretty good shape.

My background is as a gas utility repairman and fitter, and self employed doing furnace repairs the past several years. I'm pretty good at fixing any gas appliances that come wandering down the pike.

And I've supported Bush and the Iraq war as being necessary. If someone were interested in an old fart like me, I'd consider a job.

Anyone have any ideas?

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes
    Drop Halliburton a line.

Post Likes
    On a serious note SP to answer your question I would say yes. Back in 1991 after Dessert Storm I had a job offer that I was seriously considering to go to Quate.

You have to sign a contract for a certain amount of time. You make a lot of money but it will be a no frills life style for a year or so. The reason I decided not to go then was I felt that I couldn't put all the family responsibilities I had at that time on my wife.

I bet if you do a search on the web you will find a lot of recruitment firms looking for civilian employees for Iraq duty.

Post Likes
    Since the election they are building new bases in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are in true need of HVAC persons and even more so generator technicians.

Your age isn't a factor as long as you are not on high blood pressure medications, anti-depressant medications or have diabetes.

Go to the Halliburton site and do a job search for Iraq and HVAC.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    This post is on this site in the jobs area:

Dear HVAC Mechanics/Techs:

We currently have many positions for HVAC Certified Technicians on a 12-month CONTRACT to provide temporary construction and logistical support to the US Army on military bases in the Middle East, namely Afghanistan and Iraq. We are hiring from 500-700 people per week (HVAC Technicians, Painters, Equipment Operators, Truck Drivers, Carpenters, and many more) who get an average salary in the range of $82K/year as well as a TAX exemption for working out-of-country (if they maintain their contract condition of 12 months or work outside the US for 330 days). Each of our contractors get two 10-day paid R&R’s every 4 months with airfare allowance of up to $860 and 2 weeks R&R in the 12th month with a chance to end or renew their contract.

Our contractors typically work 7x12 hour days on a 1 year open-ended contract – which means either party can end the contract at anytime without penalty.

If you are interested, please go to our Careers Website: http://www.kbrjobs.com and apply online to REQ #67894 THEN contact me via email or phone and let me know you applied. I will try to get back to you within a day!

Thanks,

Luna Zuniga
    Sr. Recruiter - KBR/LOGCAP III
    A HALLIBURTON COMPANY
    4100 Clinton Dr (05-522D), Houston, TX
    Office 713-753-2489 Fax 713-753-2048
    E-mail: luna.zuniga@halliburton.com

There are some more detailed explanations regarding conditions and such further in the thread, you just have to dig a bit. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Post Likes
    7 twelves for 86 grand

Thats 4032 hours figuring 48 weeks.

strait time that is 21 an hour and that is not figuring any overtime.

Ill stay here and keep my head

already been to the same conflict only a different country and different time

Post Likes
    It's not just about money.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    It's about the oil
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Originally posted by otto
    It's about the oil
    Near any oil is the last place I want to be in Iraq . They are prime targets for the Iraqi insurgents and Al Quada foreigners.
    Training is important!

Post Likes

No Thanks

I respect you guys who want to go over there however there is no where near enough money to convince me of going over there. I would be more than happy to train military personell who are going over there or repair equipment they sent back but I don't see any way at all I would be willing to travel half way around the world to go to a place I wasn't wanted as well as to work for less than I make here.

Good luck to you guys and our prayers are with you.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by otto
    It's about the oil
    I think Otto hit the nail on the head.
    I did three tours in the navy over there right before bush's dad started his war.

I will never go back to that god forsaken land......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in