please help!!!

Thread: please help!!!

please help!!!

i live in a 850sq/f apt. my thermostat has been set at 72 since i moved in. the temp never drops below 75. my neighbor across the hall (friend of mine) has the same layout and his apt is always cooler... my electric bill for the last 4 months has been over 300$... his is never above 225... i have complained and they have said its low on freon... didnt fix it... then they said the levels we off... didnt fix it. finally they got out a pro and evidently ( i never saw or talked to him) it is because of my fish tank... he says the humidity is to high and so the apt is not cooling. i dont buy this, i lived in a 1600 sqf house and my bill in the summer was never above 200$... and before that i was in a 900 sqf apt and the bill was never over 150$. i am at a loss and dont know what to do. my fiance just emailed me and said now the temp in the house is 80$ and the ac is set at 72.. and the outside temp is 75... any info you can give would be great... is it really possible that the fish tank is doing this?

just joined this site, therefore a late reply. I operated a hvac co. for 35 years. If the ac unit is sized right, I would say a 2 ton unit would be plenty for 850 sq/f. I would go right to the a-coil, it is likely clogged, it is important to keep the airfilters clean, maybe the former tennant did'nt and eventually the dust will build on the a-coil and clog. If you just moved in your landlord should fix that for you.

did'nt mention, you should also check the blower wheel to make sure the fins are not full of dirt, that could be another good reason for your problem, the fishtank NO, that's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    did'nt mention, you should also check the blower wheel to make sure the fins are not full of dirt, that could be another good reason for your problem, the fishtank NO, that's a joke.
    LoL if the fishtank was the case my a/c would never go off, thats the most rediculous thing I may have ever heard.

Def make sure coil is cleaned up nice, dirt will cause the unit to draw more amps resulting in the cute little electric bill as well hinder the systems ability to properly cool in an efficient manor. Onc that has been done if the problem persists, call a tech yourself and have it checked sounds like your super is up to no good.

Dumbest ass excuse I've heard in a long time. I'm gonna use that one myself.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

If it is low on juice and/or has a dirty coil or blower it could have frozen up and quit cooling. see anny frost hanging around wheren the feon lines go into the unit? that would prove it.

turn it "off"(heat-cool switch) fan "on" for a couple of hours to cool.
    the landlord has to fix it.
    it still might be old and expencive to run.